How many of you do stretches with your horses?

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Just curious really as since last physio visit I've been doing Belle's stretches after every ride and she does seem better for it, I guess it's only like us doing stretches after a workout at the gym but it never really occurred to me before. Anyone else do them?

I do a wee bit with flipo before and after he's ridden. He seems to appreciate it. It was the Backman that suggested it. I'm not religious about it, but tend to remember.

I do. After Mac's six months of box rest last year he had a lot of problems, his hip was tilted and he had lost a lot of muscle. My chiropractor sorted him out and gave me carrot stretches for his neck and an exercise with his tail to build up his hind muscles. I still do these but not as often now.

I have nothing else to do with Rubic just now except a 5min walk out in hand so I do carrot stretches with her every couple of days so it gives her something else to concentrate on when she is bored.

I didn't think they'd make a huge difference when my physio gave me them (carrot stretches, leg stretches, belly lifts etc) to be honest but after a while I could see the difference.

Will speak to the physio and get her out if the vet gives the all clear for Rubic to go back into work again.

Last edited:
If prescribed by a physio or trainer we do, or there is a need in a particular horse, otherwise if they don;t need it we don't bother

I have started doing some as I saw it in Your Horse and thought why not! I have been stretching his front legs too as he doesnt really like his front been trimed, so just getting him used to it.

On advice from physio I do them almost everyday with both my horses or if tight for time after work do them each day alternatively :wink:

One into your routine it just becomes second nature but if I miss a few days I can forget when doing the horses by myself after work :poop:

newrider.com