How many of you are turning away youngsters?

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
After a basic education this summer, Jack is being turned away over winter before being brought back in in Spring to be started again and sold *sniff sniff*.
How many of you are turning away babies this winter?

Jack:
44309_433899876960_507951960_5307453_2801489_n.jpg

33481_446710281960_507951960_5591672_4182446_n.jpg

33481_446710286960_507951960_5591673_3634584_n.jpg

44925_446710256960_507951960_5591671_5797427_n.jpg

I'm sort of turning my cob away for the winter, he isn't ridden yet but will be doing minimal groundwork with him, he is teething at the moment so want his mouth to sort itself out, ready for re-bitting next spring.

im going to turn away harry over winter i may still go for the odd hack, but he will be coming in sometimes to keep him well mannered and maybe do some groundwork..so dont know if that fully counts as turning away

Inca has been very lightly started this autumn, lunged, bit of long reining, been sat on and lead around. Her teeth are coming through now so she will have time off but not turned away from now until early Feb, then we will pick up where we left off and spend the summer hacking and very light schooling

I am! My 3 1/2 year old sec c mare. She was broken in and ridden over summer/autumn but now mainly due to lack of time she is being turned away until the spring when she may (or may not!!) be sold. She misses going out and about though!

I am 'sort of' turning Marble pants away,think the time off to grow up will do him a lot of good TBH.

However as he is kept on his own I don't feel it would be appropriate to turn him away in the true sense and feel he benefits from doing some stuff and having time spent with him.

Am just going to keep what we do low key and fun rather than work.However I do intend to take him out for the odd ridden hack weather permitting,but that's just as I have finally found somewhere semi decent and safe to ride,and we have not done nearly as much ridden work as we should have done this summer for one reason or another.Will ease off on it though if it seems he's not coping and it's too much.
Generally just intend to keep it fun though and make sure he has plenty of 'chill time' to mature a bit.

He's done a lot in the year I've had him,compared to what he did for the first few years of his life,and TBH think it's been a bit too much for his 'sensitive' nature at times,so a bit of down time am hoping will do him the world of good.

If weather is anything like last year won't be able to get out of my field for weeks at a time anyway lol

Piccolo is being sot of turned away. Still coming in at night and going in the field during the day (as I only have the two horses) but not doing any groundwork as such or riding. She is 3 and a tiny bit. This year she has been backed vey basically in walk and trot and has learnt to lunge and longrein.

Next spring she will hopefully start hacking out with my daughter and continue her education. Probably around Feb time.

Me with both of mine! June is almost 3 and a half and this year has cracked driving with out the cart, been backed and ridden away, but I want to give her some time of over winter as with what we went through with her hip I don't mind giving 4/5 month off!! With having both of mine on grass livery until it's spring summer time I have no light to work with on a night anyway!

Jazz is only 18 months so he won't be doin much anyway for a while. Probs start proper groundwork in about a years time then he will be turned away for winter, then backed etc then turned away again!!

What I am having probs with is Junes manners - when she is not working regulary she turns into a bargy moody little cow. Also with jazz - he has issues with head collars - he will have one on and isn't bothered about that, but he would much prefer not to! He does everything "at liberty" including loading and unloading himself in a trailer, but it's such a faff getting one on him - at 9 o'clock tonight when it was -1 I wasn't in the mood for his b****y games :mad:

I'm wondering whether to break Bailey in for driving, never done it myself, but would be interesting.. hummmmm.. I've not even thought about turning away, as he's pretty much be doing that since I got him LOL! It's all change next summer...

appley is turned away. she'll probably do the odd inhand walk or longreining 'hack' but is mostly out in 40 acres and busy 'befriending' (for this read 'oppressing') this year's yearlings!

newrider.com