How many homes have your horses had?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Curious really. As always! As to how many homes your horses had before you bought them?

Having done some research from breeder to me sox has had between 5-6 and he was 7 when I got him!

Started off with the breeder, for 18 months then onto racing, for 2 and a half years, then after racing he went to a dealer not sure if he was past on in between the racing yard and the dealer, but that was a year. Then he went to another woman for 18 months. After that he went to two young women for 3 months and then I bought him. So the longest place he has actually stayed was the racing yard and that was less then 3 years!

Jimmy I bought directly from the breeder. Little Un I bought from a friend who'd bought him from the breeder (but the breeder was hardly a home in that they were pretty much unhandled youngsters).

Mouse lived where he was born until he was a yearling, then he was bought by a dealer who had him for a couple of months, then I got him. Annie was originally a gypsy horse, was rescued with her mother at 8 months old and stayed with that owner until I got her last year. So I am the third "home" for both of mine.

I don't know exactly.

Rosie at least two including me but I suspect she went through the sales and bought by her previous owner so no ideas really.

Major again at least three, but he came over from Ireland before, so no idea really.

Moet just two that I know of, but she also went through the sales as a youngster so no idea on her history.

I wish I knew their history properly

Last edited:
Gosh i'm really not too sure, i know he started of with the breeder then he went to a yard that breaks horses and sells them on, he then went to a mother and daughter whom kept him at a livery yard but he became too bolshy as i was told they spoilt him and they both became scared of him! He then went to a riding school/livery yard but they just did some re-training to sell him on and that's when I bought him, almost a year ago now.He still has his moments but he is a lot better ie he doesn't try to squash me against the wall in the stable or try to bite me or lunge at me when i'm bringing in his feed. He now goes to the back of the stable and waits til his food is down and his net is tied up then i stroke his head and give him permission to go to his food(i'm quite proud of that one as he was really awful) he still can be a bit pushy when leading him so i use a dually headcollar, .most days he is good but he still has his moments, he will sometimes square up to me in the field if he doesnt want to come in but he gets sent away until he behaves. My wee companion pony is 30 years old and I gave him a retirement home from a RS so I havent a clue how many homes he has had

This is the mystery im destined never to solve with Flipo. He was with his breeder in Belgium until seven months old and then sold on, seven or so years later he came across from the Netherlands to Aberdeen where I got him from. What happened inbetween I don't know and with his behaviour, I wonder who would have put up with him lol! I hate not knowing, it seems wrong that my boy had eight years of unknown life before I got him but he was as green as grass before he came here so he can't have seen or done much!

Hi, The fell had 4 after leaving the breeder and before me buying her at 6 years old. Our little rescue came through horse welfare was unpassported and in a pitiful state she was 2, and although I don't know how many homes she had she definitely had a bad start. A year on shes no passported, freezemarked, now trusts people, wears rugs etc so we have made massive progress. My 15.2hh has had 4 excluding breeder and me but within that he was owned by the same person twice. He is 7 and the most loving horse ever, very forward but just a gorgeous boy. My recent youngster we bought from his breeder, he will make about 14.2 to 15hh, he's a sweet boy but has ran as a herd so everything's scary at the moment, he's 4 and currently being broken. I'm now having to operate a one out one in policy as don't have enough grazing for more:) Can't see me parting with any anytime soon, although I'm aware the fell pony may need a new home in a few years but, I think I'd probably look for a superb loan home as I don't think my daughter would let me sell her. Saying that I ride the fell pony out to keep her weight down without a problem(she a lovely active ride and rides bigger than her 13.1hh IMO) l suppose its more to do with peer pressure if my daughter feels shes needs a bigger pony not that she will of outgrown her.xx

Brandy I think will have had lots due to his size (13.2hh) I know that he was with a girl as a PC games pony for two years, then with the girl I bought him off for two years and I've had him for coming on 10 years. I would imagine I'm his longest home. Pedro I have no idea, I bought him from a dealer who had hi. For two weeks, she told me he'd been a 7 year old boys lead rein pony for a year and came in as a part exchange. He was 7 when I got him (according to vet, dealer told me he was 10) and green as the grass! Several instructors told me to treat him like a 4 year old! I've had him coming on 3 years now.

I think madam had two homes before me. I could kick myself now because years ago I had the chance to find out her past, friend of a friend knew her mum - would have loved to seen her and found stuff out.
Not sure about J - he had two before coming to us. Dealers then his prior home to us.
Chloe me thinks not had many homes - she has been well loved and I can tell was very cared for and settled. Just circumstance forced her to end up at the charity - nothing sinister as she's so well adjusted, sane and happy!

I brought both jess and bo from their breeders. Hank came to me from a friend who had rescued him about 8 months prior as a very wild unhandleable colt, no idea prior to that.

I bought Kiki from her breeder, Shay I have no idea how many homes he has had. I know of 2 before me, then one of his old owners told me of 3 or so more before that. I won't ever know his full history but he's chilled and happy with a home with me for as long as he's here now :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Cheeky had two homes before I bought him - his breeder and the lady I bought him from. I bought Jazz straight from the breeder.
They've both moved lot since I bought them, though. :) They have forever "homes" with me.

No idea for Jack. Albi was bought at 6m from the sales by the girl I bought him off at 11 months. However, since he has been with me he has been on 5 yards so do they class as "homes" or are you asking about numbers of owners?

Boo went off for 6 months when he was weaned and then again for a holiday in North Wales when we lost the yard so although I don't have a trailer yet, he has a fair bit of travelling experience, which is no bad thing.....

ETA: I forgot that I sold Albi for a year..... so he had another home and mum then too....

Last edited:
Andy and Charlie I bought as weanlings from the sales 15 and 13 years ago, Tór I just bought from the breeder, Strauss, I bought from his first home apart from the breeder, so all mine have pretty much come to me as first port of call.

I get very bored with other folk's bad habits and training.

Belle has had three owners prior to me the first her Belgiun breeder where she stayed for three years, the next home she had was also in Belgium where she stayed until she was eight, then she came to England and was with the same lady for the next 7 years until she came to me, she will never have another owner, she will be with me until the end of her days come hell or high water, unless I drop dead or something really major happens she's going no where.

Reactions: Trewsers
D I got straight from her breeder, so only one previous home. Bertha I'm not sure of. Gem has had 4 up to when she was 8 when I bought her, making me her 5th home. Since then, she's been with us almost 9 years and I wouldn't swap her for the world.

Ziggy wasn't even passported until he was 6, when he came from Ireland to the UK. I have no idea how many homes he had there but I suspect that he was a ride & drive and that he lived in a city. After he was imported he worked for a couple of years in a riding school, (where they called him "Zippy" - hmm!) then was produced as a show jumper for one disastrous year, then went to Safecobs where I bought him reduced to clear out of the bin ends!

Mattie was bred as a PSA racer, sold and raced in France, then had 4 owners in 2 years as he was pushed from pillar to post as a worthless ex racer, then was given a home by his previous owner who gave him to me.

I know Bens full history and he had 7 owners before me, and he was only just 7 years old when I got him. I have no idea why he was passed on so quickly by everyone. I can only imagine that the previous owners got bored of his laid back nature.

A bit like Wally we got fed up of other people issues. Our competition horses recently came to us direct from big trainers so breeder /trainer /us. Most of our RS horses/ponies come to us from difficult backgounds/several homes, latest arrival at the age of 9/10 wasn't even passported , many have passports with no change of owner recorded for years but clearly not direct nor is recorded owner contactable.

newrider.com