How many have a rescue/adopted pony/horse??

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Hi, Just wonder how many have got or had a pony/horse that was a rescue or adoption:)

My girl is from Portugal and was rescued from the gypsies as a foal, after she was weaned she was adopted by a private home and then last March she was rehomed to me.

My Arab Mattie was given to me as his owner couldn't look after him any more, so he probably counts as a rescue. Alas I am in the same boat now!

Me, Chanter is from Bransby home of rest in Lincoln I have had him 6 years and he will be with me forever. Ginger is an ex racer froma re homing centre as well

Ive looked at getting a youngster from WHW as my next one depending on breed and use allowed.

Only thing that makes me uneasy is that they can dictate what uses the horse can be for in certain circumstances and Id want to do what I would with a horse of my own.

I know of a ri who works with horse welfare in the north east and they are often on the lookout for kind knowledgeable homes. x

I would love to have another but lack of space/time means I can't. I suppose Ive done my bit by squishing in our rescue albeit a little 11.2ish one, she maybe a rescue but what a character, she should of been called houdini.:)

It's not quite the same thing, but I used to sponsor two Mustangs at a wild horse sanctuary. I loved getting updates on and pictures of "my" horses! I want to do this again, although I would pick a local equine sanctuary this time so I could visit regularly and maybe volunteer there, too.

I'm not ready for a horse of my own, but that might change someday--and then I would definitely consider adopting.

Hi, FindingMyWay that's sounds like a really worthwhile cause did you get updates often. My daughter would love to sponser a Mustang, maybes a bithday prezzie idea. We did visit Redwings a few years ago whilst on holiday and we sponsered Oliver a little grey pony. My daughter would of sponsered them all though or even brought them home lol. I always get my cards from veteran horse welfare in wales as its nice to think the oldies get to relax in the beautiful welsh countryside:) x

Last edited:
Also a couple of months ago there was a appeal to find homes for Dartmoor hill ponies as they were being culled, so sad. x

tikkitti: Yes, the sanctuary sent out a newsletter every three months or so that included updates on all the sponsorship horses. About a year after I joined the program, I received an enlarged picture of the first horse I sponsored. The sanctuary is still around today and now offers different sponsorship levels.

Oliver sounds adorable! I'm happy that you were able to contribute to his care. :)

I gave my wee rummy a retirement home from a RS. He had been a RS pony for years and could no longer be ridden. So he came to live with me. I love him to bits, he is adorable.

newrider.com