How many days is usual wait for vet visit (non-emergency)?

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
I want to book an appointment for a vet to see Skeeter in case his lameness gets no better over the weekend. It seems to get the vet I want (the one who did his pre-purchase exam) I'd have to wait a week. Too long. And to get another vet that has been recommended I have to wait til Monday to book an appointment as the office is not open over the weekend - not sure how long I'll wait for an appointment. I have no trailer, so the vet will have to visit the stables.

I would not exactly call this an emergency - anyhow with emergency you generally get whichever vet is on call. But is it more important to get a mild lameness like this seen to asap and not get a choice of vet (i.e., do emergency call?) or I wonder if I should be patient and get the vet I want and wait a few more days than I prefer.

Is it normal to have to wait quite a few days to book an appointment for a farm visit? I suppose so. In hindsight, I should have booked last week in advance, but I had no idea whether this lameness would pass quickly or not, and despite all Skeet's issues they've always resolved before I needed a vet so I am clueless about wait times for appointments etc. :confused: Feeling a bit stupid not having booked last week just in case .

Last edited:
For lameness I usually call my instructor first if I'm not sure on the appropriate treatment. It's not an emergency (ie the horse isn't in danger of dying, and it's highly unlikely that immediate veterinary attention would produce different results than waiting) if it's a soft tissue injury, and I'd rather the vets were able to deal with actual emergencies and I didn't have to sit around waiting for them for three hours.

After the intial decision on treatment (assuming we decide it doesn't need the vet yet) I'd usually call the instant it got worse, or two days later if there was no improvement.

If I decide that it needs the vet, I get a vet, any vet, asap. Personally I'd ring on Monday, explain the situation, and ask that they get you an appointment as soon as possible, and if you could speak to a vet in the mean time about treatment until they arrive. If you're really worried, just have an emergency appointment, you'll feel better than if you just wait.

My vet has always come out the same day even if it isn't an emergency. I just ring first thing in the morning. When booking the tetanus injection, I was able to make an appointment for a time to suit me that same week.

Thanks for response.

Problem is I have no relationship with any one vet right now (since Skeet's barely needed one) so no one is going to go the extra mile for me. I'll go check up on Skeeter today to see how he is doing.

Last edited:
At my vets, emergency means late at night or weekends. Anything else, you call and they will be there later that day (so long as you call in the morning) or the next day.

Okay, I have a tentative vet appointment set up in a few days (just called). I can also check up on the availability of the one vet I was really hoping to see, in case she can come sooner. So at the latest, I have to wait just a few days.

p.s. Apparently this vet I booked is also well qualified in acupuncture too. So maybe he'll have some advice re Skeet's back - his back is overall not too bad these days, but it is sensitive so any tips/advice would be good anyhow. :)

Last edited:
Mhm, it's not an emergency. So I wouldn't bother. And I don't think it really matters who you have unless you really dislike one vet

Phone Moore & Company or Okotoks or whatever on Monday and book an appointment. Doesn't sound like Skeeter is in any urgent pain (if any) and it might resolve itself by then.

newrider.com