How long off grass before riding?

Slave 2 Magic

Mar 12, 2006
West Yorkshire
How long do you let your horses stand for before riding when they have come out of the field? My mare tends to come in quite bloaty so I tend to leave her for an hour. Is that what other people tend to do?

Probably about 20 mins but that's the amount of time it takes to get ready, he's not on massive amounts of grass as field is short and sectioned off.

I do though tend to ride him in from the field bareback, as his field is so short he has a habit of p!ssing off to eat grass and dragging me off like a small child and he tends to do it less when he's ridden in...

Mine live out but I don't often ride straight from the field but it depends on the type of riding I'm about to do also..

If I'm going for an ordinary hack he'll have stood about 15/20mins while I groom and tack up (I am pedantic about turn out so grooming takes a while :eek:)

However if I'm going to do something more energetic like a gallopy hack, jumping / intensive flatwork, I'll often flap about a bit more so he has more like 30/40mins before I ride.

I rarely ride him with a belly full - especially of spring grass.

I am the slowest tacker upper in the world so he usually gets at least 30 minutes and its a good 30 - 40 mins walk and trot on the road to the nearest bit of whoopeee space

It's only really hard feed that you need to wait before riding... hence why we feed hard after riding.

if horse gets bloat alot, you could try adding a supplement like pink powder into the feed, see if this helps...

Ten :D

i bring in and groom and love for bout 45mins (if its warm)

If not he lucky to get out of the field before hes got his tack on:p

By the time you've groomed and tacked up that will be enough imho.

Add onto that when you ride you don't get straight on and gallop about the place.

Having said that the horse is a prey animal and HAS to be able to go straight into short burst of full gallop with a mouthful of grass in its mouth to be able to escape predators.

Straight away. It's an old wive's tale that horses can't be riden away immediately. Feral horses can go from halt to gallop for miles, if necessary, whilst grazing. Horse's never eat until they are full when grazing anyway, usually only up to around half the capacity of the stomach. So don't worry and go for it. :)

x

newrider.com