How long does it take to empty a real roaring house fire?

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
Too long. :frown: OH just went came down from upstairs and said there was loads of smoke in our bedroom and when we looked, the back of the fire has collapsed and smoke was pouring out into the wall cavity :cry: just had to find a way of emptying the whole thing of red hot coal/logs and ash as quick as pos to stop the smoke. Luckily had tools and a coal bucket ready to do the task but it has just taken quite a while to empty it.

So glad we rent and don't own. That will be a call to the landlord tomorrow!

Btw, does anyone know what the legislations are for safe fireplaces? Does it need some kind of test?

Not sure about the UK, but every year, the official Chimney Man comes around here, and inspects all the chimneys in the houses with a mirror/brushes, etc. You then get a certificate to say he's checked and they are safe. :)

It's a pain in the bum when he turns up unannounced and you have to move all the stuff out of the rooms so he can make a mess, but it does mean the chimneys/fires are safe.

Glad there was no-one hurt!

I dont think there is anything for home owners as such but being a rented property it may be different? I know that when we rented out my flat years ago there were lots of safety checks to be ticked off before it was rented out - electric and gas appliances etc - am guessing a fire might need something?

Not sure if you rent, but I do know we have a problem atm with our neighbour, his chimney must be cracked / got a hole in the bricks as our bedroom keeps filling up with smoke and stinks when he lights his fire! I contacted our Fire department and they said to get them out and they'd advise him - but I don't like wasting their time, seeing is there isn't an actual fire going on that needs putting out!
Have contacted my local Environmental Health department to see if they can help. What has happend with your chimney then, has the brickwork just collapsed? It sounds quite serious - hope your landlord sorts.

Yes, looks like the chimney has collapsed. Our landlord has been round and will fix it luckily. So glad we are not responsible for it.

Hope Enviromental health sort out your problem with your neighbour. You should poisin the annoying man :devil:

Well, they've emailed me back so that is a start! Would love to poison said nowty panted neighbour......lol, I think of all manner of dire punishments for him.........

newrider.com