How long does it take for a hogged mane to grow out ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I've seen a horse for sale and might be going to see it tmw evening, but she has a hogged mane and whilst this wont put me off the sale at all, I dont like hogged manes :eek: I know they serve a purpose and some people like them, but I was thinking if I was to buy her, I would ideally like her to be able to live out, could a horse with a hogged mane live out comfortably in the summer with no protection from the flies etc ? Or would it just need a fly mask or some sort of hood/neck rug ? And how long does it take for the mane to grow to a suitable length again ?.

Thanks for any replies ! :)

I am a fan of hair horses and my friend bought a lovely medium weight cob with a hogged mane and I have to admit he looked gorgeous.

She decided to try and let him grow out his mane for protection and then hogged it again 3 months later as the punk look kicked in :D

I have to admit I do think he looks nice with a hogged mane, something I never thought I would be saying.

I am trying to grow Joy's very wide bridle path out and it has been growing since February and reached a length of about 5 inches. :)

I know Blue's mane was hogged about a year ago, and know after it has been left to grow it is just a nice decent length, though it might be another 6 to 12 months before it is a really nice length probably covering his eyes. But I am not perfectly sure.

It will take 3 or more years to become a full mane again. It takes about 1 year before it stops looking awful!

polo ponies here are hogged each April for the start of the season- they're off this year so havent been hogged and all of them have full manes again already.

My cob had a hogged mane when I got him last autumn and it is now looking fairly OK. Not quite as long as I want, I think that will take at least another year but he doesn't look like a thug or a punk now.

He did have sweetitch, hence the hogging but has been fine on different land and with plenty of benzyl bonzoate! He didn't have a fly mask and was fine but we do have very windy land with few flies.

mine didn't have a hogged mane, it had fallen out before we got him. less than a year on and we've 4-5 inches of flowing mane grown back :)

I'd say within about six months you should have some sort of a mane back! Personally I really don't like the hogged look, I shared a cob mare for 5 years and was so pleased when her owner decided to let her mane grow.

You're going to get that awkward 'in-between' look but I'd say stick with it, any mane is better than no mane (well that's my opinion anyway :))

When I got my first pony she had a slightly hogged mane (growing out, about 2 inches!)
I think it took about 5 months for it to grow into a fairly long mane, so not too long really :)

newrider.com