How long between shoeings

SO1

New Forests Rule!
Nov 26, 2004
Visit site
I have my pony shod every 6 weeks I used to be at a yard where the farrier came every week on thursdays.

Moved to a new yard and started with another farrier 1st visit ok booked again, checked the week before visit due that he was still coming and then he did not turn up - tried phoning him as did not mind waiting as long as he was going to come - after 3 hours of waiting and not hearing from him decided to call it day - YO lives on site and confirmed that he did not turn up even after I left. :mad:

I have called round and found another farrier who says he can come on friday so booked the time off work. I really hope he turns up! Anyway pony will then be a week over due at 7 weeks and I am slightly worried that he will get laminitis or something due to being overdue.

How long can they go with a problem happening as if farrier # 2 does not turn up then he could have to wait even longer to be shod. He only has fronts done and backs need a trim.

His shoes are not loose but he definately needs a trim.

When my lad was shod all round, he was normally done between seven and eight weeks, depending on how his feet were looking. They tended to get done more frequently over winter, because he would invariably pull a shoe off in the mud between shoeings and need the foot tidying up a little bit, so we tried to pre-empt this where possible!
I wouldn't worry too much about being a week overdue, but I do hope you manage to sort out the situation and your new farrier is more reliable.

puzzle used to go 10-12 weeks when he wasnt in much work (DIY/part) but for the last year hes been approx every 8 weeks, ill probably go back to 10 weeks when we move.
Milly gets trimmed approx every 10-12 weeks.
both luckily have very good and healthy hooves :) :D

You're right to worry, especially as you've noticed his feet are too long. Take a look at the vid link in 'should the walls take the load' for one prob that can come out of it. It depends on the amount of growth the horse puts out as to how long is too long tho & some horses with inhibited growth(often due to inefficient hoof care, so vicious circle) can go longer than 6 weeks without much growth.

*However*, horses frequently go way past that 'best before' date and while this is by no means good for the foot, if it's an occasional thing that you don't make a practice of, if it's generally done when needed, it doesn't tend to be too much of an issue. I would however avoid concussive work on level surfaces until he's trimmed tho.

You're right to worry, especially as you've noticed his feet are too long. Take a look at the vid link in 'should the walls take the load' for one prob that can come out of it. It depends on the amount of growth the horse puts out as to how long is too long tho & some horses with inhibited growth(often due to inefficient hoof care, so vicious circle) can go longer than 6 weeks without much growth.

*However*, horses frequently go way past that 'best before' date and while this is by no means good for the foot, if it's an occasional thing that you don't make a practice of, if it's generally done when needed, it doesn't tend to be too much of an issue. I would however avoid concussive work on level surfaces until he's trimmed tho.

I have never gone beyond 6 weeks before and would not have done - only was let down by farrier and could not get anyone out any earlier. I am now going to go on to 5 weeks rotation just in case this happens again as then I have a bit of space not to worry!

It will do no harm once in a while.......unless he has some surgial shoeing required.

Kia is done every 8/10 weeks as his shoes last that long and he doesnt really have much hoof growth. If I was then any earlier he wouldnt have anything for the farrier to trim really.

Nikki xxxx

newrider.com