How long are your long reins?

martini55

Apr 16, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
I've been long reining with lunge lines that are admittedly far too long for the job! I am going to be cutting them shorter but... to what length? We are just beginners at it and I would like a little bit of lee-way for those excitable moments so I don't get my arms hauled out their sockets:D What length do you use?

I have the other problem, my lunge lines aren't long enough, one's just about ok but the other is way too short when changing rein in trot or when cantering....I must look so stupid running full pelt after him, still, keeps me fit!!

For the titches I actually use full size draw reins; they're light and perfect length for Wall-Of-Death-Pone.

Other than that I have two ex-lunge reins about 10' long for the taller ones, which seems to work well for me.

i have got a pair of driving reins but they are a tad bit short
to be honest i would ranther they were a little bit longer
so i prefer using 2 lunge lines

I'm with Doris on this one.

I too use yacht rope. I find the problem with long reins is not the length, it's the weight. Some are so heavy that they intefere with any kind of subtle communication you are striving for, then if it's windy or rains they become even heavier and whip a bout in the wind.

Yacht rope does not soak up the water and it's hard for the wind to catch. I sew hand parts on to mine out of webbing.

Very easy to make your own long reins of the length you want.

I treated myself to a pair of Richard maxwell long lines. 32ft long. They are brilliant. Long lining, two rein lunging. You can lunge a full 20m circle with two lines. Impossible with normal length. I use them for loading as well. Round the headcollar to mock up a pressure halter and then let neddy sort itself out, while you stand peacefully in the trailer.

I've got proper long reins - Peri won't lunge in double lines unless you use the Danish method with the outside line through a turret and over the back, so I have some German ones for long reining and use two lunge lines if I want to lunge in double lines.

I'm with Doris on this one.

I too use yacht rope. I find the problem with long reins is not the length, it's the weight. Some are so heavy that they intefere with any kind of subtle communication you are striving for, then if it's windy or rains they become even heavier and whip a bout in the wind.

Yacht rope does not soak up the water and it's hard for the wind to catch. I sew hand parts on to mine out of webbing.

Very easy to make your own long reins of the length you want.

Do you know of anywhere online I could get hold of some? :)

newrider.com