How long are riding breeches?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
OH let me have expensive new breeches for Christmas. To match my favourite summer ones. I didnt know whether to order short, medium or long.
How far down the leg should riding breeches end?

Silly that I dont know but if you come from a non-horsey family, you move from jodpurs to breeches without having seen a proper adult rider in breeches with no boot.

Anywhere you are comfy with them. They just don't have turn ups on them. Have them finish where you are comfy. Boots go over the top anyway

Don't think I've ever worn any! I am still in teenagers' sizes so stick to jods as the junior ones are really cheap :giggle:

My breeches tend to be about an inch above my ankle (I have rather stubby little legs!:redface:)...but I do wear long socks with them, usually over the breeches though. And of course, always with long boots, or sometimes half chaps and joddy boots.

Well actually as I have just posted Frances, I DO quite often wear jodphur boots and half chaps with breeches. I am unclear as to why one would find this so unacceptable?:unsure:

Don't be silly. Why would you wear jodhpur boots and breeches? There would be a 4" gap between the end of the breeches and the beginning of the boot?

No need for the silly smug giggle emoticon. Tis a fact. Not a fashion statement.

Oh, ok. I was joking. Didn't realise that wasn't allowed. FWIW I have actually seen someone in breeches and jodhpur boots, when I was working in Portugal. She came for a hack like that, I offered her a pair of chaps to borrow but she turned them down because she thought she'd be too hot! It did look funny, and my boss joked that maybe she was making a fashion statement. That's what made me think of it. Although I spent the whole ride feeling sorry for her because I knew how much her legs were going to get rubbed!

Ah well then, that's grand...I shall be sure to shave my hairy old legs before I parade about without my half chaps on! Snigger, snort, :giggle::giggle::giggle::biggrin::biggrin:chuckle etc. Ad infinitum ;)

Opps in the summer I wear jod boots with my breeches while I am doing my jobs then put chaps on over the top as I get hot with leather chaps on or long boots in the summer when poo picking or ragworting I did't know it was not the done thing and I am always supper smart and matching.

edited to add that all mine reach down to just above the ankle.

I am short and quite used to being giggled at for my height. It reminds me painfully that my growing stopped much too early:(
I chop jods to shorten ghem but much prefer to wear breeches. They come way below my ankles tho. So nobody really notices in summer if I wear them with short boots. There are plenty more reasons to laff at a short person anyhow

To be most comfortable I think they need to end below the bulk of your calf muscle - probably not a problem if you have elegant calves, but if they're more of the peasant variety you'll get a great mess of velcro annoying your socks if the whole thing finishes to early up your leg! So for me, they should end at the end of your calf, top of your ankle.

Thank you. That's helpful.
As for hairy legs - I have done that. No rubbing but it's chilly. My leg felt cold after a long canter. When I looked down, I saw bare skin. I had forgotten my half chaps. No one on the yard had noticed and neither had I. Had ridden like that fine for half an hour. But once I knew I was riding with naked legs, I felt -Awful. Such an idiot.

newrider.com