How is that even possible?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Feel free to explain how the pelvis and hip allows this movement.
I wish I could find the veterinary book that wrote "horses cannot cow kick to the side"
They didn't look at any photographs before writing that then!

A whoopie ballerina one leg moment.
_20200826_111445.JPG

Try clipping a ticklish horse, it's amazing how flexible those legs can be!
Doesn't even have to be ticklish. Ticklish isn't in Billy's volcabulary. Sh!t scared. Bang.

That's also what happens when i don't exercise billy. He was like that most of last week when I didn't ride him. When regularly exercised the legs very rarely come off the ground.

Id be impressed with myself if I could kick like that ?

If I tried I'd probably be in A&E :eek: ?. I recently got a new saddle and I'm back to a normal girth after years of dressage ones. Now I could bend down and tighten a dressage girth in welsh cob trot, but I gave myself cramp all down my thigh and into my hip the first time I tried swinging my leg forward to check the girth on my new saddle :eek:. It doesn't help it has quite big fixed blocks so my leg had to go out and forward - going forward was ok,coming back was not! And Little Un isn't the most charitable, so took it as an excuse to trot off - I think he found it much funnier than I did!

• Haha
Reactions: PePo and Bodshi
I lead her down the field, recheck girth, hop on and go. I don't touch it again from on board.

She's lost 20kg in two months, so heading the right way.

Reactions: carthorse
If I tried I'd probably be in A&E :eek: ?. I recently got a new saddle and I'm back to a normal girth after years of dressage ones. Now I could bend down and tighten a dressage girth in welsh cob trot, but I gave myself cramp all down my thigh and into my hip the first time I tried swinging my leg forward to check the girth on my new saddle :eek:. It doesn't help it has quite big fixed blocks so my leg had to go out and forward - going forward was ok,coming back was not! And Little Un isn't the most charitable, so took it as an excuse to trot off - I think he found it much funnier than I did!
Oooh new saddle. What is it, you know i just love saddles.

Oooh new saddle. What is it, you know i just love saddles.

It's one of these https://www.bliss-of-london.com/product/loxley-ap-lx/ . Mine has serge lined panels though and a shorter flap, it had been made up for a pony but then the buyer changed their mind - their loss was definitely my gain! The only slight problem is that the shorter flap means shorter girth straps, a slight issue when Mr Sensitive likes to be girthed up slowly be because a girth big enough to keep him sweet in that way is then right at the top of the usable holes when it''s done up. I can see him having a winter and summer girth, and it goes without saying that he doesn't like cheap girths . . .

ETA it's on an adjustable hoop tree if that sort of thing interests you :)

Mine has two saddles and one girth. Someone needs to be slim to go in the dressage as I can't ride long as she is.
But if the girth lasts you many years its worth it.

Oh they're good girths - Fairfax! - and will almost certainly outlast him! If I get another after him it must fit his tack and rugs lol

I have looked but not purchased. I would only do secondhand to resell. Very happy with the Torsion one, she is.

I have nothing of J stuff left, well the base of the saddle was his, the top is new. Tack box has survived. Shes broken lots of things.

They're nice girths, lovely leather with plenty of padding and the shape holds a saddle well without needing to be too tight.

I've just trialled a Fairfax girth @carthorse ... Pete loved it so will be purchasing one for him very shortly. My friend had a prolite in his size so just going to trial that to see if I can get away with a synthetic. But my Thorowgood girth doesn't compare for him now :D We also recently had a biting consultant and he chose an expensive bit as his favourite ... his tack is worth considerably more than him ;)

I've just trialled a Fairfax girth @carthorse ... Pete loved it so will be purchasing one for him very shortly. My friend had a prolite in his size so just going to trial that to see if I can get away with a synthetic. But my Thorowgood girth doesn't compare for him now :D We also recently had a biting consultant and he chose an expensive bit as his favourite ... his tack is worth considerably more than him ;)
I used the bit bank and I purchased what yet suggested as she loves it.
I don't wear things i am not confirmed with, why should they. :)

I used the bit bank and I purchased what yet suggested as she loves it.
I don't wear things i am not confirmed with, why should they. :)

Yes, I used the bit bank to get his current (but soon to be previous/spare bit) and found them really helpful.

I must admit, I found having a bitting consultant in person so beneficial as she did quite a hands on and all over physical assessment of the horse (focusing on the head and mouth but not just so - her knowledge of anatomy and what influences what I would feel, even if seemingly unconnected to the bridle or bit, was just incredible). She then assessed us riding in our current bit and bridle and then through trial and error worked out what we could try. She spent hours with us - she was literally on the yard from 8.30am-7.30pm for 5 of us and must have been with me at least 2 and 1/2 - 3 hours one to one and was happy to film etc so I could see the change too.

I would highly recommend the experience to anyone :)

Last edited:
newrider.com