How important is striding?

(after watching lucinda green on H&C tv :eek:)

i understand it as you want to approach so its easy for the horse to do it right, but you dont want to have to work to hard all the time, so they need to learn to do it for themselves aswell

the clinic she was doing put jumps on off strides (so no known distance) so they had to think about it, it wasnt set and easy.

I think it's really important. You can really knock the confidence of a horse if your coming at a fence off long strides, short strides especially as this makes it more likely that you'll knock it or make a mistake.

Nimby's pretty laid back with strides, after 8years with him we tend to hit a decent stride every jump and if we don't he can easily pop it but i don't. I turn him out of the jump if we're on the wrong stride as i'd worry about him crashing and knocking his confidence. Obviously in a competition it's differnet, still important to get a good stride but i'd kick on if i felt we were on a rubbish stride rather than turning.

With Lantern a good stride is pretty much essential. His confidence will really take a knock if he crashes, which he always does off a bad stride. He's really taught me the importance of a decent stride and i can now feel a stride from a long way out.

There are plenty of exercises to teach both horse and rider striding, which i've done tons of with Lantern :)

So there you go, over all yes IMO extremely important!

(after watching lucinda green on H&C tv :eek:)

i understand it as you want to approach so its easy for the horse to do it right, but you dont want to have to work to hard all the time, so they need to learn to do it for themselves aswell

the clinic she was doing put jumps on off strides (so no known distance) so they had to think about it, it wasnt set and easy.

Yeah it is important to teach them to think for themselves. Lantern's much better now before on an off stride he's just plant himself and stop, nowadays he'll jump but not always well which is what i worry about.

I think before you go teaching a horse to jump off dodgy strides it needs to be confident over fences, and you don't build confidence by jumping off any random stride you feel like. That's one reason i think those sort of demo's can be quite mis-leading to those with a less experienced partnerships.

i dont know- i dont jump, its the only bit of TV i watch!

Lol, yeah i know what you mean and it is true. I just find that it sort of gives the impression that's what you should do from start if you see what i mean? Because there so short it's hard to tell you everything you need to do before practicing the hard things.

I think i have seen that demo though, on horse&country?

In theory, if you ride the horse into the jump off a balanced & 'uphill' stride with plenty of energy, they ought to be able to sort themselves out even if the stride is 'wrong' because they can only be half a stride 'wrong' either way and they ought to be able to stand off or squeeze a short one in if they need to. In practice, it ain't that easy IME :rolleyes: An experienced, scopey & balanced horse like Flynn can deal with 'iffy' strides. On the other hand, Mrs P is still quite green and her canter isn't all that balanced, which means that she finds it hard to cope with an iffy stride. If I see a stride & place her into jumps it definitely seems to help her. That said, I don't want her to rely on me doing this because I mess things up sometimes, so for the time being I'm sticking to smaller jumps & gridwork to improve both our balance & help her to get her 'eye in' :)

newrider.com