How important is it...

X

xJenniferx

to you for you and your horse to get lessons and train for outlines and schooling even if you don't compete?

I have recently spent a bit of money on getting lessons and the difference in Tyler and I is unbelievable. YO commented on it and I was amazed, but Tyler and I are unlikely to do anything amazingat competitions.

Just wondered how many of you get lessons, go to trainig days but don't intend on going to competitions.

(This is part of the 'feel I should be competing but don't want to saga that is on going lol')

Jen
x

I don't have lesson so I can compete (but I would like to do a dressage test one day), I have lessons because I learn so much and can see the change in Belle with the smallest adjustment from me, I find that mind blowing and so exciting (I 'be been riding a long time and only now feel like I'm really learning:D)

Well I don't think it's about scores, brand spanking new, sparkling tack and ribbons - riding to the very best of your ability, continually improving, and the horse carrying the rider correctly is, in my eyes, more about striving to be the best rider/owner you can be and giving your horse a long working life as you both learn to use your bodies as healthily and safely as possible.
I peronally am competative, ambitious and have low self confidence so constantly see myself as a failure/whatever I do isn't good enough, so while lessons often get me down (usually depending, it seems, on the instructor:eek:) I won't accept second best and am constantly trying to be the best I can be, and get the best out of the horse.
Having a horse that carries the rider properly with elongate it's working life and literal lifespan and will benefit it's health as it gains fitness and muscle tone, a strong back etc. It is also paramount that the horse and rider work together in harmony, for the satisfaction of the rider but mainly for safety. Riding properly develops a rider's own fitness, self discipline, gives them goals to work towards ... etc.

:) It depends on the individual, I suppose.

By the way, I do not compete.

x

if you don't want to compete then don't! it certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't have lessons. Tobs and i do interdressage at home but that's about it. but we still have fortnightly lessons as i'm always learning something new. a pal of mine had weekly lessons on her old lad and never competed him, ever, in the 15 years she had him.

I have regular lessons and do not compete...yet. I hope to in the future but its not a big priority for me. However, learning to ride (I mostly do dressage) is a priority, as is getting my horse working the correct muscles. Even when I just mess around, we do some schooling.

I enjoy my lessons a great deal and have learned a ton from them, so I don't think I am wasting my money. :)

I started a recent thread about the same sort of thing.

It really does depend on what you want from your horse. I have had lessons on Joy to get me through a crisis of confidence a couple of years ago now. I'm self concious and I don't like confined spaces.

If I got stuck and was making no progress in areas I wanted to progress in then I'd have lessons again. As a general rule though I'm happy enough with our way of going :)

I love having lessons, not because I have big aspirations to compete but purely because I want to be a better rider. I'm not competitive so it's not about being better than anybody else, it just makes me feel that we are making progress.

How did you feel after the lesson??

If you had a great feeling and a big grin on your face at the end of it, i would say its worth it.:D

It what you want to get out of your horse, so what if you dont want to compete, no one can put you down for wanting to better yourself or your horse.

i say go for it :D:D:D

I just love having lessons, if i won the lottery I would have three a day!!! I do compete on carious horses and obvioudly then I focus on the test or jumping or whatever i'll be competing at, otherwise I just enjoy lessons.

Well done on your progress x

newrider.com