How far would you travel your horses?

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Just like most people, I dream of moving somewhere nicer than I am at the moment.

If you moved, how far would you consider too far to move your horses?

i would transport them to the other side of the world with me if i thought mine could cope with that amount of travelling and money was no concern!!!

however, i travelled them from Cardiff to Wolverhampton a couple of yrs ago and although they moved fine, the one was a quite stressed and took a few months to settle down.

i suppose you know your own horses and their capabilites!

Don't think the New Forest is too far :) Plus it is your DUTY to move here, Ruskii and I need you!

Absolutely :D

For me, I'd move my current horse anywhere in the UK that I live. Older boy, dont think OH would do it and so would stay put in localish area until he goes.

I wouldnt take them abroad eg if I ever went back to Aus. (But that isnt ever going to happen, New Forest is WAY much nicer) :)

i suppose you know your own horses and their capabilites!

That's the thing, so many people import horses not knowing the horses.

For me at the moment any journey for Joy would bring her out in spots! I don't know about Littles.

Is it fair to travel them for a couple of days or more?

Hubby and I were chatting about this today as a bus broke down blocking 1 of the 2 roads out of this town of 75,000 people or so and it was chaos :mad:

The plan is to move within the next 3 years ready for my munchkin to go onto senior school.

I don't think anywhere in the UK or Ireland would be to much of an issue.

We plan on moving in the next two years but only to the outskirts of town, probably nearer to the horses, so they won't need to go anywhere.

Although i could do with a yard of my own :rolleyes:

We're planning to move from Staffordshire to Shetland, and will be taking Harvey, Grace and Eggwub with us. Of course, Eggwub made the journey down a bit over a year ago, so we know he'll be OK. Having seen the standard of Eric Gillie's lorries, we'll be using him again. Horses get a break before the ferry as well.

toby moved ireland to glasgow, then glasgow to 200 miles north. bit frazzled but survived! planning and a good transporter and i'm sure they'll be just fine :)

I'm suffering from a touch of the dribbles over a horse that's for sale about 4 or 5 miles away from me...'spose it would travel that far! Bet it wont be for sale when I get back (and I bet the livery close to me wont have any spaces... :mad: )...

I know people who would travel three days straight just for one horse show! Also a lady at my barn just took her horses from California to Hawaii. One was 23 years old with founder issues, I would have personally left him behind but seems like he coped from what I have heard.

I too would move mine pretty much anywhere in the UK, although would use a transporter rather then our own trailer for longer journeys of more then say 5-6 hours.

I would LOVE to move in the next 2-3 yrs and I'd like to move somewhere different, more in the sticks then we already are, to a bigger house that hasn't a much bigger mortgage then the current house in the little posh village we are in now. (we live in the not-so-posh bit:p)

Realistically hubby won't move more then 30 mins away from where we are.............may leave him behind if I decide to move:p

The furthest we have travelled to a show was 6 hours each way.

When we moved Arthur up from my old house it took 9 hours on a transporter (due to a blowout on the motorway, traffic jams and other horses farting about on the way). He was fine.

If we were to move to Spain I would happily travel Tia that far if there were adequate overnight stops on the way.

Last edited:
As others have said, I think it dependson horse and the transporter. Tyler would probably travel for about a day then get a bit grumpy. Hamish was fine on the tw short journeys we have made with him, but I am not sure how he would cope on longer journeys

That said if we moved,they would move with us, but would work round problems. A local transporter will do the journey over two days and give the horses a chance to stable over night if it is along journey so would take advantage of that if it a was a full lengt of the country

Jen
x

OH and I originally had planned to move to Cornwall, so thats a long way from where we are in Lancs! It would have taken more or less all day. I'd probably have used a horse transporter - you know a proper big wagon thingy. I don't think either of ours would travel all that well ina trailer. THe furthest they've travelled was about three quarters of an hour - so I'd have had to had the vet give me some Sedalin in case they got worked up mid way.

Me personally, overseas trip, I would do if I had the spare cash and horse was a good traveller and young enough (under 15). If over that though and I wanted to move overseas, I would probably hold on in the original country until the horse passed away / or was in a good long term home with a family member who I trusted for life.

For me say if personal circumstances meant I had to return to Australia (which would only happen if I became a widow) I wouldnt fly my horse out with me. He's a good traveller but I could find him a good home here, therefore reducing the need to travel out there. And I myself do not like one iota how horses are kept out in Western Australia compared to here, where I would be based anyway. There is only a small pocket of country that I would keep a horse out in Perth, but it's very expensive.

Although I know a few people who did indeed emigrate to Aus and took one horse with them.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd go as far as New Zealand with our pair!!!! lol, tho I do like the look of it! I'd probably consider spain, portugal but thats about as far me thinks.

Mine came with me from Jersey to Scotland. 10.5 hours on the ferry alone to Weymouth, then the journey was split into 2 days. That was 13 years ago, wouldn't really want to travel her anywhere now, she's 31.

newrider.com