How far would you travel to look at a horse? To buy not just stare at obviously :-)

GingerRuby

Apr 14, 2008
Edinburgh
Question in title, would love to hear thoughts on this.

Bearing in mind I am not some fab rider looking for a horse to go out and compete every weekend on with an unlimited budget. Looking for something sane that can carry me (diet not going too well this week) that I could do some fun local stuff with. (optional extra needs to be a colour that looks good next to Harv, my dun, just kidding :smile:)

Reason I ask is 'cos I have seen a fab horse, looks ideal, the owner even sent me some videos so I could see him in action, but he is just over 4 hours away, an hour past Inverness (I am in Edinburgh). I keep swinging between thinking I am mental, there is no rush to buy a new horse, that is a very long way to travel, no-one is keen to come with me as means taking a whole day out so I would have to rely on just my eyes / judgement etc (although have shared the videos), and then thinking, what the hell, I'll go have an adventure.

Have agreed to go see him Sunday so also feel it would be VERY bad manners to cancel at such short notice, especially given I knew how far away he was at all times! Can you tell my head is full of mince??

Cheers everyone.

Can't believe nobody wants to go with you to the viewing! Whats wrong with 'em? They've got no sense of adventure....hope it goes well for you - if you are ok travelling (presume you are driving?) that long then go for it. Fingers crossed......

I live in Aberdeen and have bought horses from glasgow and melrose before so i don't actually think it's that far for you to travel :tongue:

I would go as far to europe for what I thought could be the right horse etc, but maybe Im a little mad !!!

If I could fly up to you I'd happily come with, a weekend with no kids would be bliss.

Good luck and dont feel pressured to buy as he's 4 hours away, it nothing !! and could always be done again next w-end.

I'd treat it as a day out and go for it. Could you google saddleries near to the horse/ en route so you could go for a horsy browse/ shop too? Oh and a nice pub lunch somewhere....

Good luck! :)

Flew from Stansted to Inverness once to look at pony for my son & had to stay overnight as no same day flights back. And we didn't buy the pony.
Good luck. Looks lovely!

I travelled 6 hours to see one of mine. Went and stayed locally the night before, then spent a few hours there and drove home. I went on my own, only visited once and used a vet recommended by the seller. So I did it all not by the book, but I felt confident enough in my own ability/ decisions to make my own mind up and not need someone else's input. Lots of people thought I was mad going 6 hours away, and even more so when they found out it was for 'only a highland'. It would for some reason have been more acceptable to do it for something bigger :rolleyes:

I think the issue would be if you can't get anyone else to go with you and you want a second opinion. Otherwise, it's entirely up to you how far you travel. Just be aware that you might turn up and not like them!

Yes I'd travel that distance if I thought the horse would fit the bill . As the others would just like someone to come too to anchor me a bit :wink:

Your thread title made me chuckle!! I went to Aberdeen for mine, about an hour away but when I was looking it felt like there were heaps in northern England and none in Scotland - I considered going down south for a mini break and try to arrange some viewings while I was there. So my answer would be probably about four hours - and if I could manage to organise at least one other viewing then it would make it feel more efficient!
Good luck on Sunday, shame I don't have time this weekend, you could have picked me up en route although I'd be about as much use as you going alone since I know nothing!:biggrin:

Oh and he's lovely btw!

I went 2 and a half hours away to view both of mine.

If the horse fits the bill and the owner thinks that it'd be fine to travel that far to get to you then I'd go and have a look.

He's scrummy :wub:

I'd go down to the Borders I am about 40mins from Inverness so about 6 hours.

If you have no one to come with you an would like an honest opinion and another pair of eyes I'd be happy to volunteer to come with seeing as I live up this way and I am free on Sunday.

Last edited:
Ooh, ooh, thank you all so much, getting proper excited hearing all you knowledgeable people say how yummy he is!! Four hours now seems like a snip!! Thank you!!

Zingy - how rude, just a Highland indeed!! Noble Scotish breed!! Cheek of some people.

EB - thank you so much for looking up his BE record for me, that is fab, his mum said the reason they were eliminated at Strathallan was because she took the bigger course into the water!

Praecelsus - if it would not be too much inconvenience I would LOVE it if you had time to come along, need someone, as Tubby so beautifully put it, to anchor me!! (When I went to see Harv, I sat on him, saw how fab his ears looked from up there and said to his owner, I'll go get my cheque book, really hard nosed I am :biggrin:)

But I really wasn't kidding when said not the best rider in the world and have put on too much weight since Harv out of work, so please don't judge me too harshly, and if you need to laugh at my awful riding, just do it quietly!!!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you :skip:

newrider.com