how far would you travel for....

dotsanddashes

Dec 27, 2004
On a hill in the snow
Visit site
a show?:confused:

If it was a medium sized event, catering for your specific breed(s) that offered in hand, ridden and WH classes in addition to jumping and dressage and possibly western classes?

It is envisaged that the in hand classes would be a mixture of affiliated (main register and part bred) and open (displaying characteristics but not necessarily registered) - thereby catering for all.

We are looking to stage an event of this type in the "north east" and currently are looking at venues near Barnsley and another at Willerby, with another suggestion being in Lincoln. As you can see, they are very different locations. My question is if this was the only show offering these benefits for your specific breed being held - how far would you go?

Oh, and any suggestions for venues in the general area would be welcomed, I am geographically from as far away as you can get so I really haven't a clue what is about up that way.

Thanks.

I have travelled about 3 hours to get to western shows before now, acctually did it on a regular basis :D
If I had a really good horse, and there were quite a few classes I wanted to/could do then I would pretty much go anywhere in the UK for one off events, if it was a series then I would have to consider if I could manage to do it regularly.

J x

Ok not sure about breeds for showing but I regularly travel three hours(there and 3 back) to go show jumping because I like the atmosphere of the league.

No more than an hour unless it was something like the Great Yorkshire, or a major show.

We aren't consistant enough in our placings to want to spend the time and effort going far afield, plus Dad isn't too used to towing yet and finds it tiring.

no more than 1 hour and a half! but if it was a big massive show that meant loads then no more than 2 1/2 hours. but i wouldn't do that in this heat at the moment, i would feel sorry for Solo. so we are keeping travelling distance to a minimum

xjesxsolox

Prob up to 1 1/2 hours, maybe more if decent prize money was on offer....

Port Royal is a nice venue with lots of space as is Arena UK, they might cost you a bit to hire but both have good facilities which is something I would look for if travelling long distances, I wouldn't want to have to drive for 2 hours to find I was having to go to the loo in some shabby old portacabin.... lol

newrider.com