How far would you go (travel-wise) to buy a horse?

kryspyg

kryspyg
Jul 17, 2006
Romford
Am not buying at the moment but just thinking about when I will. Up to now I've only been looking in the south east area but happened to browse further afield today and find some really interesting listings in the south west.

Would it be fair to buy a horse and therefore transport it from so far away? I have never personally used a horsebox before so have no clue about how long you should travel for without a break etc. Do excuse my ignorance!
Of course I realise if I did find a horse a distance away I would need to make a number of journeys for trials, vetting etc which wouldn't be easy but if it's the right horse it won't matter where they are to an extent.

Any experiences NRers?

ta!

k
xxx

I went down to sheffield from edinburgh to see a couple of horses (well, I was down seeing someone anyways but hey....)

Transport price would probably be your biggest cost - it'd be anything from £100 - £300.

Vetting is easy - all you do is phone up a local vet and ask.

Visiting is harder. Assuming you see the horse three times, the first is likely to be the biggest waste of time - you would need to be very carefull over the phone to see that the horse is probabably suitable. But you could try and see a couple of horses in the area whilst your there. Dealer are good for that.

I went as far as Northampton from near Basingstoke when I was looking. The people that loaned my Sect D came from near Ware in Herts.

Ok, thanks all. is reassuring that this wldnt necessarily be a problem if the 'one' was a few hours away!
Hiring a horsebox round here is about £80 for local stuff anyway so i'd be more than happy to pay whatever it took for such an important one off trip.

how much does vetting cost approx? there are different levels i presume depending on what you're looking for.

ta

k
x

we've gone 200-300 miles to see horses. First horse was transported from St Boswells up to Aberdeen, second from Glasgow. Cost us £250 in transport costs for the first horse.

I would travel any distance for the right horse - I have driven fron cumbria to the south coast for one, also from cumbria to Inverness several times to pick up horses ( 8hr trip each way), so I would not rule out a horse just because of distance.:)

I traveled from Cardiff to Essex last week to see a horse and ending up having a flat tyre on the horse box on the M25 in rush hour traffic on the way back! The both sides of the M25 had to be closed off to enable the breakdown service to change the tyre as we had to get the horse out of the box before the man would change it :eek:. Needless to say we weren't very popular with the good people of London :) Instead of getting back to Cardiff at 6pm as planned we got back at 1.30 in the morning! I think I will stick to looking for a horse locally in future!

Got to agree with blackhorses. I would travel any distance. Obvisiouly if you can find a good horse locally that's great, but I wouldn't restrict my horse search to the area. I always don't understand when people ring up for a horse and then say, oh that's too far away. I think this is just silly and they might be missing out on the horse of their dreams. So I would travel any distance, if I think it is the right horse.

I think weve had a thread like this before, we have travelled to the other side of the world to buy several horses and would not hesititate do to it again. We have one arriving from Holland in six weeks. I have a horse at the moment that I brought from my neighbours, he just happened to be perfect and I was lucky not to have to travell.

I travelled 200 miles to view a horse and knew the moment I saw it knew it wasn't for me. I ended up buying a horse from about 5 miles away.

newrider.com