How far do you travel to your yard?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
OK I am contemplaiting moving my lots but am not sure how far away to look.

So haw far do you travel to your yard? how long does it take you? and how often do you get there?

Also, can I be really cheeky :eek: how much do Y'all pay for DIY? and what sort of facilies do you expcet for your money?

Ta :D

My yard is baout 3 miles away! takes less than 10 mins to get there also its even closer to where i work (about 1 mile away)

Im really lucky and dont have to pay as its a friends yard and i help her out with all her horses!:D

5 minutes there, 10 minutes back (dual carriageways:D). I normally go once a day in summer, twice a day in winter.

Basic DIY is about £80 a month, includes use of a large floodlit sand and rubber school, stabling and 24/7 turnout. Yard also has an XC course and great off road hacking, hay and straw made on site.

6-7 mins in the car travelling about 4 miles. I personally wouldn't want a yard much further than that.

DIY is £25 p/w with a large stable, own tack room, huge outdoor all weather school (no floodlights), lunging ring and lots of all year turnout.

My yards 6 miles away. I visit twice a day - morning and evening.

£15 per week
Indoor barn stables - auto drinkers
3 Winter fields
3 summer fields
Private hard stand per horse
Outdoor School
3000 acres of private hacking through private estate -roads, tracks forest, water etc
Also forestry to use also outside of estate
Storage - plenty for hay, shavings, feed
Secure tack room

It's a 40 mile round trip (20 miles there and back) and can take anything from 35 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes depending on traffic, road works etc.

I get down at least 4 times a week and in the summer I try to make it 5.

I used to pay £460 for full livery, but now she lives out 24/7 which costs £200 per month.

But I must use about £100 a month in petrol getting to the yard:( , still she's worth it :) (I'm sure she'd do the same for me):D :D

hi i travel about 7 miles to my yard. but i only have to go once a day as thr yo feeds and turns out in the morning. for that i pay about £25 per week, that includes all hay and 1 bale of shavings per week.

about 15 mins in the car, and if i cant get a lift i have to get a train to one place then a bus from there to the town centre, then i have to walk up the track to the farm - so that takes about an hour!

I get a lift on a Monday. I get the train/bus Tues-Fri and on Sat and Sun i walk up from work which is about half an hour away on foot. As for getting home, i get picked up by my mum who comes on the way home from work at about 6pm Mon-Fri. Saturday i get picked up also. I dont usually go on Sundays.

As for DIY, we pay about £25 a week. I go see her once a day in winter and usually every day apart from one day in summer. (in winter we pay for her to be turned out on a morning)

Jenny xx

My yard is 20 minutes drive away. Its £48 diy per horse per week. Its got fab facilities and loads of great hacking:)

My yard is 9.5 miles away. Unfortunately I have to sit in traffic which I hate. It's £20 per week. I will be moving Charlie to a place that's around 2-3 miles away from new home it's £25 pw

I dont have my own horse,I'm sharing at the moment.

The yard is about 8 miles from where i live in Blackburn,takes about 10 minutes in the car,I have lessons every Monday,my mother in law takes me over as my partner works nights and sleeps during the day.

Facilities are :

Indoor school
Outdoor school
Cross Country Course
Cafeteria
Bar
On site tack shop
Heated tack room
Toilets & showers

Bit hectic up there at the weekends as they hold every type of show in the North West,can never get use of the arena's.

If I was to ever buy my own,I wouldnt stable it there,I'd look for something closer.

Right so maybe I am not going so mad.

I don't really want to travel more than 10-15 minutes or 10 miles or so but given where we are I think I may have to.

I looked at 2 places, 1 an old smallholding, they got rid of their cows so now have pleanty of grass, very nice older couple, lots of grass (maybe too much) and close to friends to ride. £10 p/w p/horse but no facilities, just fields and the cattle's old barn!
Number 2 advertised as livery, wooden stables, paddocks schooling area and access to hacking without touching a road. Very nice owners and very relaxed feel to the place. BUT the stables were very nice and solid, the paddocks were chain link fence, post and rail, wire and also chain's strung between wooden posts (not exactly ideal) and the riding area was small, maybe 18x30. and they wanted £25 p/w p/h - seemed alot to me :eek:

I think I will keep looking - RAAHHHhhhhh

Anyone local? do you know of anywhere for 3 horses between Downham Market and Mildenhall?

J x

I'm not familair with your area jessey so not sure what's the norm. I will be paying £25pw for beautiful stables and I mean beautiful! Rubber school good hacking lovely paddocks with good wodden fences and a horse walker.

we used to be about a 15 minute drive from the yard. were paying something like £30 p/w for DIY grass livery with a stable and often providing our own hay. did have access to fields to hack in and a floodlit bark school.

now we are £170 per month for the 2 horses on our own yard. no facilities except water and electric in the stable block but you make do. have way too much grass aswell but won't complain!! horses are happy which is the main thing.

i like the sound of option 1. don't know why, just seems most appealing to me coz i've never been fussed over posh facilities :rolleyes: :D

I used to be on a yard 6.5 miles from home diy there was £25 pw. However the cost of transport was silly. I was doing around 200 miles a week for twice daily visits sometimes more if the weather was bad in the winter and I had to visit 3 times. If for some reason my car wasn't available it was a 2 bus journey at over an hour each way and around £5 a journey. Ouch.

I am now 2.1 miles from home and it's £15pw diy. I cycle most days or walk.

As you can guess the finacial saving is huge......so why am I no better off?

I go to my barn about three times a week, its 10-15 minutes away depending on the day because some days i go at different times and there is a lot of traffic. I don't have my own horse and im pretty sure my barn doesnt have a diy type of board. My dads friend has horse property about 30 minutes from me, he said i can keep a horse there for free except i would have to do everything for it, which is fine by me, but 30 minutes away is pretty far, i bet my parents would really appreciate all that gas getting used. lol

Kirstie

EB I am not one to fuss over the niceitys of a yard, but option 1 fronts onto a busy road, has no 'yard' area to even unload off the trailer, we would have to do that on the cycle path along the edge of the road. The barn is nice but only has 1 outside light, it has no water at the barn but auto troughs in the fields. We would also have to restrict grazing from end April to June (no major problem) for the hay. I am also not sure how they would feel about me riding in the field esp when things get damper and with bouncing Bo and a 3 year old I can't really just get on and hack out.
My main concern is the road and also the grass, my mare is huge already on OKish grass, this is seriously well looked after grazing (they produce the best hay off it every year!) and it had cattle on for over 20 years so will have been fertilised alot. My friends poor doer arab went on holiday there for a week, even she came back the size of a house.

Other than that it would be great.

J x

ok, can see why it's not so appealing now!! that could be a serious pain having to restrict them aswell.

newrider.com