How does a product with 47.5g of sugar make it onto the shop shelves!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It's pretty disgusting when you think about it.
I have stopped drinking anything fizzy and currently my replacement is just water or water plus a cordial.
However I do need something more on occasions (if feeling unwell) but I don't need 47.5g of it in 500ml! I am not talking about an energy drink, just a bottle of juice.
I won't touch the energy drinks!

I don't pay much attention to the labels on things, but I don't very often drink can's/bottles, I drink coffee during the day and fizzy water at home, perhaps with cordial in it if I fancy flavor, perhaps a fruit juice now and then but that's about it. I'm struggling to put 50g of sugar into context :rolleyes: does seem like more than you could dilute in 500ml of water!

as a diabetic I must pay close attention to sugar contents so I dose insulin correctly. I saw this picture recently and I was very shocked at frijj milkshakes being higher then lucozade!!! I use lucozade to revive me if Im having a hypo! Very very misleading, you would think you were doing good ( ish) giving your child a fresh milkshake rather then a can of coke. My daughter and I tend to drink flavoured spring water sugar free, we choose a particular brand which dosent have horrible evil sweetners in just natural leaf based sweetner. Im more of a hot drink person though and glug coffee! I have learnt so much about food since I have to know exactly what im putting inside me so I can give myself the correct insulin dosage. Things like fat free philadelphia has tons of more carbs then full fat ones. Same goes for yogurts! This picture shocked me though!

Last edited:
The milkshake doesn't shock me as I gave that up over the summer.Is that the added sugar though or overall content?

I am not diabetic but I do have a health issue.
Even Ribena is shocking as you associate it with kids, well I do. The fruit shoot if that's what it is has made changes then, as that used to taste over sweetened.

I have never liked fizzy drinks - I don't like plain water much either, I just drink loads of low sugar squash. The kids are only allowed that and water/milk, and a Diet Coke as an occasional treat (it's a taste thing - we all prefer Diet to the full fat variety, but obviously I am aware that sweeteners aren't exactly health food either!)

I love milkshakes !! I tend to just make them weak nowadays with nesquick as that is quite sugary to. I used to love frijj chocolate milkshake sigh!

Reactions: newforest
I love milkshakes !! I tend to just make them weak nowadays with nesquick as that is quite sugary to. I used to love frijj chocolate milkshake sigh!
I haven't been able to touch them, or Yops, since I had my tonsils out and they were pretty much the only thing I could eat/drink - mixed in with blood from the back of my throat - for over a week! Put me off forever!

Reactions: Gimp
I haven't been able to touch them, or Yops, since I had my tonsils out and they were pretty much the only thing I could eat/drink - mixed in with blood from the back of my throat - for over a week! Put me off forever!
Ewwwe !!! I bet !!! My fave chocs are ferraro rocha (sp!) I watched a viral video the other day showing some with maggots in!! whether its true or a hoax I nearly threw up watching it!! I will never hint for them again!!

Reactions: squidsin
That's shocking. I'm glad I don't like fizzy drinks or milk! I drink black coffee or hot water. Oh and coke if it's got Bacardi in it ... but I think Bacardi cancels out the sugar ... and then there's wine - I see that doesn't feature on your poster @Gimp, so I presume it must be sugar free. That's ok then (hic) :p

I eat a shocking amount of sugar sadly!! Fruit smoothie with breakfast too which is really high in sugar. But I very very rarely drink anything other than water/ sugar free squash so at least that is something.

I'm not really sure what I can eat that doesn't contain high sugar as I am fussy and also can't eat dairy. Even bread is full of sugar and that's what I survive on really.

That's shocking. I'm glad I don't like fizzy drinks or milk! I drink black coffee or hot water. Oh and coke if it's got Bacardi in it ... but I think Bacardi cancels out the sugar ... and then there's wine - I see that doesn't feature on your poster @Gimp, so I presume it must be sugar free. That's ok then (hic) :p

I actually drink Red wine, the carb content is generally near 0

not keen on any fizzy stuff. Coke is just vile in any manifestation. I make jug of fruit tea and let it cool and chill it down as it's nasty hot, Chilled down with a bit of lemon juice it's really good.

Reactions: Gimp
That is a shocking poster!!

I never drank much soda but did give it up totally years ago.
I drink mostly water with my meals.
I do love milk though especially goats milk- (not from my goats)
(they are fixed boys)
and I do love chocolate milk!!
I do have coffee in the am.

Ale have a look at deliciously Ella and honestly healthy on Facebook - both are dairy free and often low/no sugar :)

I don't smoke or drink - but I am bad with fizzy drinks and sweets. I binge on them and have to be careful as I get withdrawal shakes and headaches if I try and cut down quickly so I try to be strict about it

Reactions: MrA
I actually chose Lucozade today as it's less sugar than anything else on the shelf bar water.
After one and half hours up and down dale with madam, I need something, but not to excess.

I have fizzy water with a little cordial (no added sugar variety) at work, A cup of tea in the morning when I get up, and maybe a couple of cups of coffee after work. You can get caffeine free tea as well, camomile is nice, I don't mind caffeine free coffee, but Oh hates it.
I can't stand having sugar in my tea/coffee, can feel it coating my teeth when I do. Can't seem to give up chocolate, no matter how much I try. I think i'm a lot better with my snacking between meals too.

newrider.com