How do you wash sheepskin numnahs?

GerasHorse

Jan 7, 2007
Hampshire
As I can't keep on buying clean sheepskin numnahs it's time to wash my dirty ones :D I am not sure how to do it without damaging them. How do you do it?

Can I use any washing liquid? Or do I have to get a special one from a tack shop? I guess you can't dry it in a tumble dryer because it will shrink..?

When I bought my Stephens sheepskin dressage numnah the place I got it from said to cover the sheepskin in human hair shampoo and then wash it. Sounds wierd but apparantly it helps keep it in good condition while washing and to fluff up afterwards too. I tried it the other day and it came out looking like new so a good tip. You can also get special sheepskin numnah wash e.g.Griffin Nu-med do one and Stephens do too so you could use that.
I think the most important thing is the drying of them sometimes if you dry it too quicklyor to much heat like on a radiator etc the sheepskin goes all hard and it shrinks up so it wrecks it a bit. If you tumble dry it too theyreally shrink up and look horrid although it may be ok on a very cool setting.

Hope this helps
Hannah x

I was told to always use a non biological powder as the enzymes in biological do damage.Not sure how true that is but being such expensive things i never felt the need to test it out.

Just did my Stephens lambskin one for the first time today - and flung it in the machine with a Nuumed wool one too. I just used a non-bio washing liquid and did what the labels on the pads said (wash cycle 6 at 30 degrees). They both came out perfect :)

And the lambskin one was pretty much dry coming out of the washing machine - it has been airing on the back of a chair since about 3pm and is now dry!

The wool fluffed up perfectly and it looks like new. Unfortunately I suspect I will now be putting it on eBay as it is too much under the saddle since the horse has grown some muscle :( I loved it soooo much too...

I was told to always use a non biological powder as the enzymes in biological do damage.Not sure how true that is but being such expensive things i never felt the need to test it out.

Dont know how it would effect a numnah but I never use a bio washing powder on anything that I put on my horse ( numnahs, rugs, headcollars, bandages) as it can cause a reaction.

Thank you everyone. Tomorrow I'll make the big experiment and wash it :D

Here are the rules:

• Non biological washing liquid
  • low temperature (wool or delicates settings)
  • no tumble drying
  • no dry cleaning
  • can use shampoo or special numnah washing thing
  • let it dry slowly, no radiators

A silly question: what's a fairy snow powder?

I had mine professionally cleaned as it is suede on top, lambskin underneath, and far to expensive to be replaced willy nilly. Came back almost like new, but then I had used it on and off for almost a year without having it cleaned. Didn't smell bad at all.

I have a nu-med one, washed it yesterday on the wool setting at 30 degrees, it comes out quite dry (with an extra spin) and was ready to use today.

I use non-bio detergent, it's fine although it doesn't get all the stains out. Mu numnah is the natural colour and my brown saddle has stained it -but then you can't see that when it is on :)

I wash all my horse stuff in one of those horseware bags

Do mine in the bath - wool fleece gets human shampoo rubbed in and rinsed a few times, sheepskin girth cover always wipes clean with just a little soak in warm water. Dry on a rack over the bath.

rub human conditioner into the fleece, wash on delicate setting and leave to dry on a chair:)

newrider.com