How do you tell when clipper blades need sharpening?

I wouldn't want to do more than 2 full clips with a set before getting them sharpened but it will depend on how thick the coat is and how clean it is.
Basically ..if in doubt get them sharpened..
It only costs around £5/£6 so not going to break the bank and even if you have to send them away most places will get them back by return post. Clippersharp are very good. www.clippersharp.com

Last edited:
I had had them sharpened, and just hunter clipped a tb type with them. I want to tidy up my Fjords clip and maybe try a new style, but am worried that they will ruin his coat for about a week (till blades sharpened). His coat is very thick.

Well, have only done 1 clip with them. But I am a constant worrier! Were the coats you clipped thick?

The horse I clipped had really fine hair, but lots of it.

I can tell when my blades are going blunt, they either leave a lot of lines or simply don't go through the coat at all. I wouldn't worry too much, you can always go back over anything a bit partial later with a newly sharpened set of blades and clean it up.

I clip fully my 16h beast, legs the lot. Chunky cob. And i do it at LEAST 3 times with one set of blades. You know then there going to go blunt, it starts getting harder to clip through the hair, so once this happens i use my other set and then sharpen the pair at the same time. He has a thick coat too :)

I get mine sharpened after every clip - I can't imagine anything worse for the horse than having hair pulled by blunt blades (which is what is happening when they aren't cutting the hair, must feel like a giant epilator) so for the sake of my horses and making clipping as stress free as possible for them i will only clip them with newly sharpened blades :D

newrider.com