How Do You Muck Out?

puzzles

Nov 11, 2006
Bedfordshire
I have been asking some pretty basic queries lately :rolleyes: but have to muck out my friend's horse tomorrow and completely underestimated how rusty I am when it comes to mucking out! One wouldn't think I mucked out 6 stables a day once a week for 3 1/2 years ... so do you do deep litter, the whole lot every day or at weekends etc ... what (and how much) do you take away/add each day?

Please forget I ever asked this ;)

x

I'm sure everyone will have a different answer to this.I do a full muck out each day and usually average around 1 1/2 to 2 barrows a day of muck and put in half of a large bale section of straw each day on average

Right, i:

1) Go through getting out all poos and wet bits that i can find.
2) Chuck everything up onto the walls
3) Sweep the floor clear
4) Stick fork in the bottom and fluff up (makes any missed poos fall down in front of the bank)
5) Go all the way round doing this, then get any poos that have fallen down.
6) Push fork down the back of the bank and drag down in sections going round the bank (pull a bit down, leave the next bit, pull the next bit down, leave the next bit and so on :p)
7) Pull the sections of bank across so that it's one smaller, continous bank around the edge
8) Spread out the stuff i pulled down evenly across the floor (and add fresh bedding as needed)
9) Flatten out, neaten up banks
10) Run a shavings fork along the top of the bed to make it even
11) Sweep the front of the bed level
12) Breathe :D.
I was taught a different way years ago, then forgot, then was taught that way and can't seem to do it any other way :p.

Right, i:

1) Go through getting out all poos and wet bits that i can find.
2) Chuck everything up onto the walls
3) Sweep the floor clear
4) Stick fork in the bottom and fluff up (makes any missed poos fall down in front of the bank)
5) Go all the way round doing this, then get any poos that have fallen down.

6) Push fork down the back of the bank and drag down in sections going round the bank (pull a bit down, leave the next bit, pull the next bit down, leave the next bit and so on :p)
7) Pull the sections of bank across so that it's one smaller, continous bank around the edge
8) Spread out the stuff i pulled down evenly across the floor (and add fresh bedding as needed)
9) Flatten out, neaten up banks
10) Run a shavings fork along the top of the bed to make it even
11) Sweep the front of the bed level
12) Breathe :D.
I was taught a different way years ago, then forgot, then was taught that way and can't seem to do it any other way :p.

I do up to 5 the exact same way, except I then pull it all down and don't leave banks. Jim wees in one patch only on the left side of his stable so I put a thinner bed over that part.
The bed only takes up the back half of the stable - he has rubber matting.

I also then tie his haynet to the manger at the back - so when he eats his haylage throughout the night, the poo lands in FRONT of the bed rather than on it.
Saves SO much time ;):D

I have champ on straw, i pick out all the poo and wet, chuck everything else onto the banks, tka eout about a barrow and a half a day, then pull down all the banks, spread across the floor except the edge all the way round, and stuff that full if new straw, a bale a day, to make new banks

I get all the poohs out with gloves and a skip, dump that in the wheelbarrow, then fork up all the dry straw and remove the wet from the bottom, then I leave it up all day for it to dry out, and then put it down again in the evening, with a sprinkle of fresh straw on top.. I more or less leave the banks alone as they are pretty established and stay put!

My boys share a huge bed because they are never shut in but like to lay down inside at night, so it needs the day to dry out or it get pretty stinky!

I was never actually taught to muck out, just knew it in theory and invented my own method:p

1)I take out all obvious poos
2a)then if it's a mare I start a pile to put all the clean straw taken off the bed in a clean corner of the stable
2b)if it's a gelding I check one of the corners where there is already straw for any hidden poos and once these are removed then pile the clean straw here
(as most geldings only wee in the centre of their beds where as mares can spread anywhere so I have to check the whole thing :p)
3) Then I go through picking out the obvious bits of clean and putting it in the pile
4) Once I've got all the obvious bits I'll start sifting through looking for wet or poos chucking clean onto the pile
5) After I've sifted through it all I'll sweep the little bits of dirty to one side to be poop scooped up.
6) Pull down all the clean and spread it evenly and make banks, add more clean if necessary.

No, not particuarly effecient but I like to be thorough:p Can do this in about 10-15mins and only usually take out 1 barrow maybe a little more.

Last edited:
Take out all poo and wee
chuck up clean onto walls or into piles
sweep up remaining muck
pull it down and see how much more straw is needed
add more straw
fluff up
sweep
:)

When I muck out i do the following:

Everyday I take out the poo
Then through up the top layer only again to let the little bits of poo missed roll down the banks and pick them up.
Then I only lift out the really wet areas and fill in the holes with bedding from the banks.
Then take down from the banks to create a soft topped bed.

I never take out the whole floor as this then stops the hocks rubbing on the floor when they lie down.

I usually only take at the most 1 wheel barrow a day out but usually its about 3/4. With this method I only use one bale of shavings a week.:D:D

newrider.com