How do you dry your horse

Its very rare that ours come in wet and cold (they're usually wearing medium weight turnouts in winter) - in summer they aren't rugged but of course its not cold then. If its winter then I either use old towels to take the thick off and then pop a fleece on for a couple of hours or just rub down with an old towel.

If really wet i would use a sweat scraper to get the worst of the water off and use either my waffle weave or fleecy cooler (waffle if colder).

I also have a weatherbeeta wick dri cooler which is great for drying off in the summer or for a very woolly pony thats not usually rugged.

I remember the days of thatching.....

If the horse was getting really cold in the rain, I would put a rug on to prevent them getting cold in the first place. If they were just wet and I wanted to ride, I would get the worst off with a sweat scraper and then just towel off the saddle area and use a thick saddle pad.

If really wet i would use a sweat scraper to get the worst of the water off and use either my waffle weave or fleecy cooler (waffle if colder).

I also have a weatherbeeta wick dri cooler which is great for drying off in the summer or for a very woolly pony thats not usually rugged.

I remember the days of thatching.....

I still thatch, quickest, safest and most effective way to get your shivering horse dry.

scrape off, towel dry as much as poss. depending on how chilled they are either fleece cooler, or netted cooler under buccas cooler - very chilled would be the latter two plus stable rug over, change underlying damp rugs to dry one roughly half hourly until dry. Would also give warm sloppy feed of some sort, just to get warmth in her.

Used to thatch but could never get the stuff to stay in place, and mare would constantly try to roll as she hated the rough scratchiness of straw!

newrider.com