How do I teach turn on the forehead on the ground

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I've got an idea on how to do this ridden but after my accident earlier this year at a gate on the yard it's left me nervous on how to do gates mounted. My horse now will rush through gates now too, I did a lot of practise yesterday at the gate that we had it at and he's so much better now, he was a bit nervy to begin with but no where like what he was a few months ago. After 15 mins of opening and closing the gate and him walking through it umpteen times (including standing for upto 1 minute halfway through the gate) he's back to his usual self. :wub: He loves a fuss.

Next step is I'd like to start prepare him for attempts on how to do it mounted but obviously teach him on the ground first. So next question - how do I ? He is clicker trained if that helps ?

I have taught a lot of ground based things with my horse using Silversand based techniques with great success. Including turn on the forehand.

I'm crap at putting things down but basically I started with things like moving back applying less and less pressure until a hand movement is enough for him to move back. I then moved onto other movements so now if I raise my hand towards his bum stood alongside then he moves over. A lot of it is to do with how my body is positioned - which isn't learnt so I don't know how to translate- and also looking at the legs you want to move.

Just knows how to move away from my hand. She also kniws the word over. Having established this I the replicate what I want when ridden. I stand at her neck facing Joys tail. I hold her head in to me slightly and put my hand gently on her side back where my leg will be and say 'over'. My hand stays where it is so she knows not to move forwards.

With Joy, she is better with voice added into the mix (as when we wirk regularly i can say over and look at the bit i want to move) but it's not really needed.

Funnily enough, this wax part of the parelli part 1 exercises I did with Joy in our first 8 months together. Although I never felt the want to continue or do the part 1 ridden element I found the groundwork element still forms the basis of everything.

I use my voice a lot when asking and he does respond well to it. Contact with a hand he can be a bit "Duh - and then move about 8 seconds later : rolleyes:

Thanks for the info :)

Ruskii, when you have taught your horse to turn on the forehead, please will you teach me? I'd love to see Ziggy do it. He would look like a pony breakdancer :biggrin:

newrider.com