how can you tell if a horse is warm in a field?

K

Kate&TheHerd

I used to be told to feel their ears but i found for myself that not true, under armpit? or how?

i feel the base of curlys ears and stick a hand in her pit (niiiiiice). i also just watch her in general, if shes too hot she tends to stand and look dejected with her head low and too cold and she moves sharply with her tail up - just my observations, they may be coincidental but shes not barbecued or froze yet.

I always check carns armpits or between his thighs as true indicator if hes got to warm they are the areas he will start sweating if heats up

If they're cold you'll know straight away they will be haunched up & shivering..but to be honest in this country you really neednt worry about them being cold as they are perfectly able to keep themselves warm..

If they're cold you'll know straight away they will be haunched up & shivering..but to be honest in this country you really neednt worry about them being cold as they are perfectly able to keep themselves warm..

Hmm, I don't worry about my 2 fluffies but even i, as an advocate of going rugless, wouldn't say that about every horse.

i risked it shes in lw again! i felt under her rug, just on her hair and she felt cold ish, but as suggested on here, i felt the insides of her back legs just now before i left and she was toasty :)

I go by base of the ears, give them a good squeeze, hand under mane (when it was longer) or once rug off I put my hand flat on the small of their back (sorry I've forgotten what it is called...how embarassing!!) Can't remember where I got that from.

newrider.com