how brave am I ????

perkypinky

Nov 13, 2007
not wishing to bore you all again - but i just HAD to post today as i went out for a hack AND I CANTERED!!!!!!:eek:
D was such a good boy considering nasty mummy left him in all day yesterday (and in the end it didnt even snow!) so he had been in his box for 24 hours. We hacked out with my freind and her trustworthy horse. we walked a fair way then had a trot - he didnt pull or buck:) so i got a bit brave and said 'lets canter' so we did! he was amazing but it was still scary - his canter is so powerfull (exprerienced freinds have been blown away by his power) he again didnt buck or pull and i remembered to keep my hand down (dont know if they were soft or if i was hanging on in anticipation:eek:) but he felt as if his feet werent touching the ground - very bouncy - and really powering from behind:eek: but he came back to trot nicley PHEW!
Then on the way home i he did a real cob trot powerfull and floaty and pointing his toes but too fast for my liking and again came back when i asked:)
So maybe my walking him out is working - he seemed very surprised to be allowed to canter - now going back to walk and a few short trots for a while again before i let him canter again.
thanks for listening folks - i just had to tell someone!!!!:rolleyes:

aww well done, sounds like he was a really good boy :D
i love those kind of rides where everything goes really well, & you come away feeling good! especially when its something you've been putting off/building up to!
xxx

Thats great - well done you!!!!

I really want to start hacking my boy out as hacking is my favorite but I haven't dared to for ages because when walking him to his new yard a few months ago he 'lost it' and got loose, it was awful. I really thought he was going to cause an accident and it has scared me so much. Obviously I was desperately scared for his safety but more so for that of people driving on the roads. It wasn't traffic or anything, he is fine with traffic, he just seems to get overwhelmed by the big open spaces around him. He just stops dead and stares into the distance, he goes into fight or flight mode and becomes completely unaware of the fact I am there.

Before the time he got loose I hacked him out and led him out a few times and although he did the thing where he stops and stares, I managed to keep him under control and get home safely. He is ex riding school and I beleive he was hacked out quite a lot in his old home. I was told by his old owner that he is better out alone than with others and on the day he got loose we were with my friend and her daughters pony so perhaps it was that, I don't know. I would have though that being ex riding schood it would have been the other way round!

I have a much better bond with him now and he seems to respect me more so perhaps it would be better now. I think he really needs to have complete confidence in me as his leader as he is quite insecure. I might take him for a short walk this weekend.

Anyway, sorry for going on there! I'm glad you had such a successful hack and enjoyed it! :O)

More fun hacking stories please!

ponymad25 - i am sorry you had a frightning experience - its awfull when that happens isnt it - D is a bucker so i know that sick to the stomach frightened feeling when it happens- can you get someone to help you longline him - that may help with his confidence issues? i am going to have a go at it when the weather is nicer (we have a very experienced longreinging instuctor on our yard) as D will not go out on his own without him (and i) getting eaten by monters and murderers lying in wait in every bush! not a very pleasant experience for either of us.:eek:

My boy is ex riding school as well and he gets very tense in wide open spaces, I think he will have been used to yee ha everytime, so I just walk him quietly and feel him relaxing after about 10 minutes. I've had him since September and still haven't cantered him, he is not balanced enough in the schoool and I keep putting it off when out, goodness knows why, I feel a proper wimp because of it. Not riding him at the moment, concentrating on NH ground work, he has all sorts of issues due to his past but is soooooooo much more responsive with me now, after only 4 lessons and a bit of practise in between, I dream of the day when we can go anywhere and canter away to our hearts content. I didn't bargain for a project when I bought him, but am enjoying the journey.

i am in just the same boat - i love cantering about and thought that i would be able to on D - but it was not to be - he has been whizzed about a lot - i have been waliking him out for ages now - just the occasional trot - and it seems to be paying off, so stick with it - i have had him for 4 1/2 months now x

Thank you for the suggestion of long-reining perkypinky, I think that would definately be worth doing. I think I will start off by leading him out on some short walks and then hopefully move on to some long-reining and see how it goes. Good luck with D, it will be lovely when you get to the point of being able to go out alone with no monsters or murderers in the bushes won't it?!! :O)

Drifter - I dream of that day too!!!! Wouldn't it be lovely?! Sounds like you are doing very well with your boy. I was completely wrong when I though having a 14 year old ex riding school pony was going to be easy :rolleyes:. I have had him for about 6 months now with all sorts of problems along the way but I love him to bits and like you I am enjoying the journey - apart from the bit when he reared and I came off and hurt my back and lost my confidence! Now with the help of a friend who is a fantastic instructer we are getting there! That day will come for us I'm sure!

You are very brave indeed!

If I'd stabled my horse for 24 hours I'd have to school him for at least and hour before hacking him out incase he got too excited!

Well done you - I think cantering is sometimes easier on a hack as there are so many other things to thing about i.e. dodging tree branches (or not in my case!):)

newrider.com