How best is it to store haylage once opened

allym

Aug 2, 2009
Surrey
My mare is fed haylage and I am thinking of getting bigger bales instead of smaller ones now the weather has cooled down. What is the best way to store it once it is opened to stop it going off so quick. Is it best to take the whole wrapper off and seperate the sections to let it breath or should I try and wrap it up or does anyone have any other suggestions

Agree with what EML has said - you can only really get away with using the large bales if there are a few horses eating it, otherwise it goes off before you get the chance to finish the bale.

Depends how wet it is. Fairly dry haylage will dry out a bit when it's opened, rather than just going mouldy, so take all plastic off and open the bale up a bit to encourage that. But if it's wetter stuff, then it'll just go mouldy no matter what you do. I've kept haylage open for a couple of weeks before now in winter without any visible mould growth or going off kind of smell, but in this weather then I'd reckon on 5 days at the most.

But it can still be a lot cheaper to buy big bales and accept that you'll waste some of it, rather than buying smaller bales, even if you don't have someone who will share with you and use it all.

Used to get large bales from one farm & he said to open it out ( bales were oblong not round ) so it's all exposed to the air & when I did this it used to do a month without going off,just went dry.

I find the big round bales last about a fortnight at a push as long as its cold. If its warm it goes off rapidly. My supplier told me to shake it all out to stop it heating if I wanted it to last a little bit longer.

newrider.com