how and where spot test po+s

wibble

Feb 8, 2006
Herts/Essex border
I ordered some pig oil and sulphur which has arrived today. I know you should do a spot test, could someone tell me where you should apply it and how much? If he doesn't react I would like to put some on tomorrow when the farrier is around so I can tie the applications up with the farriers visit in my calendar.

I would mix up a little (prob half a teaspoon in a cup full) and apply somewhere you could easily spot a reaction, like behind a knee (check there are no scabs there to start with!) might be good to use it on a white bit, if you have that option (as you can usually see the skin clearer) and leave for 24 hrs

I have never known a horse have a bad reaction, but have heard on here it can happen so better safe than sorry.

I spot tested him on the knee. he didn't react so Heucherella and I attacked all 4 legs after the farrier. He looks very yellow now and it also ruined my favourite silver ring (cheap but sentimental) that'll learn me!

hopefully this will help clear up the mudfever and prevent it in future as well as helping the leg mites which have been stubbonly rejecting the deosect.

:)

newrider.com