Hound exercise

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
The hunt have just been out on the hill i presume hound exercisimg. Its 7.30 in the morning. Im distrurbed by lots of barking dogs and a hunting horn. So i get up to see all the dogs outside on the hill in front of me. With loads of cows frantically trying to run from them. I am not impressed. The huntsman was on the very top of the hill on horseback. He will have seen the cows running trying to make a rapid escape. I saw one cow turn and try to challenge the pack. I shouted out that the dogs were chasing the cattle, so he must have heard me.
Ive now got to go and check to see if any cows have sustained injuries from trying to get away. My worse fear is if theyve been run into the trees or gorse and poaked there eyes on the tree branches.
Theres is not supposed to be any hunting on the hill so lord knows what they were even doing there, unless the farmer on the top has given him permission to exercie on his land, the hill is adjacent.

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
The hunt have just been out on the hill i presume hound exercisimg. Its 7.30 in the morning. Im distrurbed by lots of barking dogs and a hunting horn. So i get up to see all the dogs outside on the hill in front of me. With loads of cows frantically trying to run from them. I am not impressed. The huntsman was on the very top of the hill on horseback. He will have seen the cows running trying to make a rapid escape. I saw one cow turn and try to challenge the pack. I shouted out that the dogs were chasing the cattle, so he must have heard me.
Ive now got to go and check to see if any cows have sustained injuries from trying to get away. My worse fear is if theyve been run into the trees or gorse and poaked there eyes on the tree branches.
Theres is not supposed to be any hunting on the hill so lord knows what they were even doing there, unless the farmer on the top has given him permission to exercie on his land, the hill is adjacent.

Poor cows! They used to run the hounds without my permission to park on our land. Loads of noisy blokes, hounds and horns. Our horses went lame once because of them. Never even asked me just showed up because it was something they had always done ??

• Angry
Reactions: Huggy
They must have gone so far turned round and come back again. About 1/2 hour later after id checked the cows down here, only 12 of them lord knows where the rest were and was just on my way down to the farm to feed the sheep. I heard the horn again and see some of the other missing cows running across the top of the escarpment hotly persued by the hounds again. I even heard some woman who must have been walking on the top of the hill shout 'get your f****** dogs under control. I expect she was out walking her dogs and was probably surrounded by them and a bunch of cows running towards her. The ones that were down here along the road, although not harrassed by the hounds directly again were clearly aggitated as they had run from the trees they were sheltering in further down along the roadside.

Hope there not going to make a habit of hound exercising over this way. Whilst ive got nothing against the hunt. Those dogs were clearly not under proper control. A good number of them were down on the actual road. I dread to think of the carnage if they took off down onto the main road.

Did you get photos or video? If you did and any cows are injured I'd be calling the hunt saying you've proof their hounds are responsible and will be sending them an invoice. Even if there aren't injuries and/or you haven't proof I'd call and say that you aren't happy with them being on your land and either out of control or being allowed to riot and if there are further incidents you'll be taking action. No good huntsman should have his hounds out of control or allow them to harass livestock.

Its not my land its a public common, but they are my cows out on it. Where he was actually riding is actually a bridleway as well so technically hes ok where he was riding wise. But the council took a decision some years ago not to allow hunting on council land. Whilst he was technicallt not hunting he clearly was hound exercising. We will be reporting it to the ranger.

I did manage to get one picture on my phone as the hounds were making there way back up to the top of the hill. Its not very clear though. Unfortunately i couldn't get more as my phones being mega slow since doing an big upgrade so spent most of the time frozen. Aargh

Reporting to the rangers sounds like a good idea, and even if he isn't hunting he still has to have the hounds under control the same as anyone else exercising their dog.

newrider.com