Hot swollen hocks

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Eva has heat and swelling in both hocks want to put her on anti inflammatory and joint supplement and which no bute supplement works best? I feel like crying at the minute.... if its not one thing is another. But I suppose with the amount of ponies we have something has to go wrong sometime.

Any advice/recommendations welcome.

Really sorry to hear this, i haven't really any advice but I give mine Flax oil I think it helps my oldie with his joints and it def helps their coats shine:)

I would ask your vet. There are so many supplements out there, I didn't know which to choose so went on his recommendation and I'm glad I did now because it does seem to work.
Have you been prescribed long term bute? My Storm has a low dose and coupled with devil claw is a lot more mobile (save for her damaged tendon but that's another story:rolleyes:)

Maybe a stupid question but I take it she's been seen by a vet? Do you know what's causing it?

I recommend turmeric cinnamon and boswellia mix :) I buy them separately then mix in a big codlivine tub. Celery seeds are also good for joint changes.

Less acidic in th tummy compared to Devils claw/no bute.

I agree about the bute, long term use is not good at all. A diagnosis would let you know where you are going - acute or chronic. I use Doug English's golden paste for me & Josh. It stops me waking up at night everytime i turn over & gives the old boy much more freedom of movement. This is the website - sorry I can't get it to copy as a link, operator error!
www.turmericlife.com.au/doug-english-turmeric-for-animals/

She been on field rest but I think she does need to see a vet..... Just dont want her going on Bute :(

Why not? My Storm has been on it four years now on a low dose and it has kept her much more comfortable. Are you worried about the long term effects? How old is your girl? I trust my vet and we had a discussion abut it at the start. I have no doubts that for us it's the right way to go but of course everyone and their horse is different.

Where does all this concern about long term use come from? I've only ever heard concerns on here. I think my vets mentioned it briefly but they didn't make a really big point about it being harmful? I look at it like this: there are lots of other things that can catch up with horses (and humans come to think of it) and no drug is without a possible side effect. I guess it comes down to what you are happy with. It certainly didn't kill J - his snapped suspensory did that!

It's is the same as log term painkiller use in humans. Eventually it builds up in the liver and kidneys. I would also say it wouldn't be good for the gut either, antiflams and painkillers are not good for the digestive system long term.

I prefer herbal remedies, if I couldn't keep Kia field sound without bute then he wouldn't be here. It's a moral thing with me, I don't like taking loads of pain meds as it will eventually hurt my body so why should I do it to my horse who doesn't have a voice in the matter.

Bute can be very harmful long term (according to the drug use/info leaflet that comes in the boxes), causing intestinal damage, liver & kidney damage and can have contraindications if a kidney, heart or blood disorder develops and impacts healing negatively in some cases, the risks tend to come from very long term and relatively substantial doses, an older (20 something) horse getting 1g a day it is unlikely the cumulative effects will ever get to a point where its an issue, but a younger horse getting 2 or 3g a day might reach those cumulative levels of damage before nature takes its course and in a young horse that is still being expected to perform bute can mask an issue and the continued use accelerate it. I totally agree with using it when necessary but that should always be weighed with the risks, I'm sure your vet did this for you Trews :) Danilon is slightly more expensive but carries less risks in long term use.

NL I'd be thinking about getting the vet out, bi lateral issues tend not to be an injury but a medical issue so knowing what is going on will help you treat it. Devils claw is the main ingredient in most 'no bute' formulas but in long term high doses it can have side effects (effects similar to bute), boswellia is meant to be a great anti-inflammatory, its effects have been scientifically proven too and not heard any negative stuff long term side effect wise but it hasn't been used as widely on horses for as long either. Willow is a good pain killer. There are lots of herbal options out there.

Reactions: Native Lover
How old is Eva? Could it be spavins? Horrid whilst it happens but once they are fused things inprove.

After Nut's diagnosis and barely able to move last year we took her off bute and put her on Turmeric along with Gobal herbs no bute - and shes never looked back with damp conditions now I put her and Tess on Flax oil earlier in the week, forget to tell daughter who spent best part of 1/2 hour trying to catch the little madam who was cantering round the field - a hoof up to the Vets poor diagnosis!
We give all ours Turmeric now as part of their daily feed.

She is 16 years old so could be arthritic issues :( Will get the Vet out see what he says....... But for now shes on devils claw and tommorrow buying her a supplement for joints too. Shes been on and off lame for about 4 -6 weeks :( She keeps coming sound then going lame again...shes not been ridden now since Sept x

newrider.com