Horsey clothing / body image ??? Busts etc..

BIrish

Nov 13, 2007
Having replied on Pebbles82 thread re jackets/busts and it seems a fair few people are paranoid about their bits in relation to horsey activities.

Personally I am of Irish Draught stock ;).. Long legged, plenty of bone, “well sprung” mid section with a well formed chest! :D My personal bit of paranoia is my stomach.. too many chips & wine and not enough rising trot this summer = a wobbly tum.. But I’m not paranoid enough to try to specifically dress to disguise it or worry about it extensively.. As for my bust..It’s there and I’m prone to flaunting it a bit.. I have jackets nipped in and darted to , in a more countryside bonkbuster than Jodie Marsh way, flatter rather than hide my curves i.e I’d have no objection to wearing second-skin breeches with a tailored-to-flattered jacket in the hunting field.. ;):D

My (bust) size doesn’t bother me ever, I’m more worried by ..erm.. gravity… taking effect so am careful to always support and minimise bounce (whilst retaining shape & lift .. )

What bits of you make you self conscious in riding clothes ? Or are you at all ?

Last edited:
Erm, I'm not self conscious at all - well only when I know I smell and am in big queue at the bank etc and can feel people looking.....:eek:

I have no shame lol ;)

I don't have much in the way of a bust though, I make up for it in thigh and bum :rolleyes:

Day-to-day riding, I'm not really that bothered, but I must admit, when it comes to show gear, I find that it's not the most flattering... think I must be of ID stock somewhere down the line too!! :eek: Saw a rather unflattering pic of myself in my black show jacket a month or so ago... a few too many lumps and bumps... and as for light-coloured jods :eek: - must go back to the gym this weekend!

Generally though, I also try to minimise the bouncing - being "blessed" with a large chest, it's probably the thing I'm most paraniod about. :eek:

My legs. I'm a size 12 but I HATE my thighs and love handles, and jodhpurs have to be the most unflattering item of clothing ever invented! Back to the gym I go. Also, I have a very 'straight' body (very little waist definition) so in riding jackets I tend to look a bit boxy.

Does anyone have those 'hipster' jodhs? Do they look better?

boobs, hips and thighs really don't lend themselves well to horse riding gear! for every day i tend to pop on a roomy tshirt or jumper/hoody and jods. Thank goodness i can wear black trousers for inhand to hide my thighs!

there is more support in my sports bra for riding and MTBing than there is in the Forth road Bridge - but then anything above DD needs it and I haven't been there since my teens (let alone since i had my daughter- DD is a fond memory).
I had a horrid shock when my mum took a picture of Jack the other day when i was stood on the other side of him picking his feet out - i need a severe diet to remove the bum/pregnant bulge (daughter is nearly 6!!!!!)

Not a fan of my leg in anything let alone jods!! I get away with dark coloured ones but hate light coloured ones!:eek:
I'm ok with the top half - when I am riding I am grateful I didn't inherit my mothers double H bust!!!

Unfortunately I'm not of ID stock, more welsh sec C stock, similar in characteristics to what you described BIrish but just smaller (5'4" and three quarters!). I am partial in everyday to emphasising and making the best of my chest (32E :eek:) especially when working behind a bar - tips don't half make a night worth working (although please note don't have to have it all on show to emphasis or make most of it). I will be going down the route of having my show jacket made to measure to make sue it fits round and flatters my bust, hourglassy shape perfectly.

Equestrian wear isn't the most flattering in any shape or form so we might as well do what we can to make ourselves look as good as we can in those hideous things we call jodhpurs and breeches!!

Oh, yes i feel VERY self concious in my riding gear, i'm afraid :eek:! Where do i begin?

1) Unless i'm doing anything other than a gentle walk, the only thing that seems to hold me in place up top is my BP!

2) My legs are an odd shape; they're big and wobbly right at the top and pretty thin at the bottom so i usually wear long tops to cover the top up.

3) Jods make me look like i have a bit of a belly - when i turn sideways i normally look at my slimmest but jods seem to baloon me out in front

4) Hats make my head look HUUUUGE and make me so hot i look like i've just run a marathon!

5) You can see my orange peel skin through the material of my least-flattering pair of jods :eek:!

There are more but i'll stop now :D

Unfortunately I'm not of ID stock, more welsh sec C stock, similar in characteristics to what you described BIrish but just smaller (5'4" and three quarters!). I am partial in everyday to emphasising and making the best of my chest (32E :eek:) especially when working behind a bar - tips don't half make a night worth working (although please note don't have to have it all on show to emphasis or make most of it). I will be going down the route of having my show jacket made to measure to make sue it fits round and flatters my bust, hourglassy shape perfectly.

Equestrian wear isn't the most flattering in any shape or form so we might as well do what we can to make ourselves look as good as we can in those hideous things we call jodhpurs and breeches!!

Oooh.. we are so alike.. months I am also of the got it-flaunt it school of thought. :D Am also an E (36 though..) Less chips needed for the hourglassy look on my behalf though :eek: but clever tailoring makes a world of difference!

I tried to reply to this thread as asked but developed R.S.I. (repetetive strain injury!) typing my list of parts I don't like so I have turned it around.

I am reasonably happy with my ears. ;)

I'm tall and slim, except when I've been on a chocolate binge, but my pet hate is jodphurs, I have a long waist and big bum, so I look awful in high waisted jodphurs, I have to go for the low waisted/hipster styles. That said, I'm not too bothered, particularly as I've never seen how squishy my bum looks doing sitting trot.Ignorance is bliss.

I saw a video of me rising to the trot from behind and was shocked at how much everything rippled - and no i'm not talking about muscles :eek:! No matter how slim i get, i can never seem to get toned - i'm either big and wobbly or little and wobbly :p!

.. )

What bits of you make you self conscious in riding clothes ? Or are you at all ?

I used to worry about my tummy not being flat:eek: But I don't think its that bad anymore and I love all my riding outfits - feel much happier strapping around Tesco's in my jods and long boots than in "normal" clothes these days!:D (Its a very rural area so not that I stick out like a sore thumb or anything anyway!)

i'm definitely of thoroughbred stock!! my weight has varied a lot, but now that i'm back in regular horse-ownership it has dropped back to being quite skinny, shaped like a stick, with no bust to speak of!

On the plus side, I am happy in pale jodphurs.. on the negative side, my hacking jacket has flappy fabric where I think my chest is meant to be :eek:

'Fraid I'm a bit of a hw cob :eek: The bust can look good if I can find clothes that show it off while still hiding the flabby tummy underneath. Riding has helped by toning my legs - but only to about mid-thigh. I'm hoping that doing stable chores twice a week with my new share will help. :rolleyes:

Erm, OH has a think about me in boots and light coloured jods so as long as he's happy that's all that matters (although funnily enough he's less happy about me in smelly wellies and baggy bottomed jods with holes in....:rolleyes:)

i'm definitely of thoroughbred stock!! my weight has varied a lot, but now that i'm back in regular horse-ownership it has dropped back to being quite skinny, shaped like a stick, with no bust to speak of!

On the plus side, I am happy in pale jodphurs.. on the negative side, my hacking jacket has flappy fabric where I think my chest is meant to be :eek:

I'm glad I'm not the only one... my show jacket is from topshop as it was the only place I could get a jacket that didn't look like I needed a padded bra!!!:D

If i was a horse i would be a mini shetland as i am wee fat and have hairy
legs:D

as for the human world i for sure am not a 6ft blond with legs that go on and on and on.
I am 5ft blond and have never been able to see my feet when standing straight since i was 12years old.i am past caring about it .though when young it was a right nightmare .

newrider.com