Horses with hogged manes

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
Why don't people want to buy a horse with a hogged mane? We have 6 horses hunting on Saturday and 6 draghunting on Sunday which means I have 12 loads of plaiting to do, as you can guarantee the plaits won't stay neat for 2 days hunting in a row for those horses which are going twice.. All because people don't like buying a hogged horse and therefore I can't hog them all as some of them are for sale. I'm taking Rambo both days so don't bejrudge plaiting him as he's easy, and wouldn't hog him anyway coz he has a weedy neck, but how much easier would my life be if I could hog everyone!
So why do people prefer horses with a mane? Something to hold on to or just aesthetic?

they look softer and 'prettier' with manes. hogged makes them look rougher somehow.
also: it leaves your options open: if future owner wants it hogged it's easier to take it off than to add it back on ;)

sorry for the extra work!

Been there, done that, stop whinging and get on with it. Shouldn't take you long :D :D

Been there, done that, stop whinging and get on with it. Shouldn't take you long :D :D

Pmsl!

I don't like hogged manes as manes serve a purpose and I prefer the look anyway.

If I bought another horse I'd have to go through that bog brush look to grow it out. Luckily I'm a leisure rider who only hacks and couldn't give a toss about scruffiness. If I did then it would put me off.

Definitely aesthetic for most people.

they look softer and 'prettier' with manes. hogged makes them look rougher somehow.

I respectfully disagree! I think hogged horses look very smart, they make dainty types look tidier (polo ponies for example) and IMO they actually soften a broad/plain head.

I love a hogged mane on the right horse!

It wouldn't put me off in the slightest, but I suspect with a mane people can get a feel of what they look like with or without hair and how much maintenance it would take if they kept them hairy!

I used to hog my big heavy cobs main and trim off the feathers had lots of complements about it. I just took the lot off with the clippers. It looks good on a cob as it used to be traditional to do it on the bigger cobs. Not sure it looks so good on other types.

A proper cob, a real one, not a fugitive from a knacker's yard, looks far better hogged and trimmed up.

Sadly on the hunt yard where I worked there was only one such beast....but he was white grey and what I gained in the plaiting department I lost on the poo stain stakes.

The 2 coloureds are the worst for the poo stains here, the 2 greys aren't too bad! Need them all to be black/bay/chesnut, much easier!!

A proper cob, a real one, not a fugitive from a knacker's yard, looks far better hogged and trimmed up.

haha, this made me laugh .... SO reminds me of our yard! we have both proper cobs, and the other variety (literally!!)

other than that - i'd think 'sweet itch' as well (unless it was a show cob!) and always think it looks a bit weird!

maybe the OP should consider the non-hunting market eg. 'mortals' might like a horse with hair ....

I'd love to hog someones mane, think it looks very smart. Out here a lot of stock horses are hogged and one of the recent sales horses came done, about 3 months on and he has two inchs of mane sticking straight up, geeze it's annoying to look at!
YO likes having the mane there and is waiting for it to grow back, I'd love to hog my old girl's but with her ears back and in alpha mare pose (default setting) she looks that much like a snake that if I hogged her someone might confuse her with one ;) :D

I love 'em natural and hairy, but there ARE horses that I've seen before and after (OK, mainly cobs) that I will agree look far better without their hair - which surprises me - I must be going mellow in my old age! I think it depends on the individual horse, like Wally says. (There is something very touchable about a very newly hogged neck! :giggle:)

Barney was hogged when I bought him, and everyone said "ooh - a show cob!

It saved an awful lot of faffing about. I missed having a mane to hang on to in a crisis, so I put on a neckstrap ...

newrider.com