Horses, there's always something isn't there?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I'm a bit worried about Roxy. She hasn't seemed quite right under saddle since the weekend - rode Sunday and Monday and she was a lot more girthy and a bit more reactive than usual, and had her ears back the whole time, hacking and in the school. She wasn't naughty but she did feel tense. When I lean on her back, up near her withers, she winces and swings round to look at me. My normal back lady is on hols so I have a new physio coming out on Thurs to take a look. Will see what she says then get the vet/saddle fitter out as necessary. Just really hoping it's not ulcers! In fact I am hoping I am just being paranoid and she is fine! Arrgh, horses eh, there's always something!

Ooo poor lamb - she does sound like some things up ! What if you were to try to give her a nice massage and groom one evening and just pay attention to any areas to gauge where she is not happy and that might pin point something ?

I will try it tomorrow - it seems to be her upper back that is sore. She does roll a lot so I wonder if she's done herself a mischief doing that.

Sounds a bit like Raf with his saddle issues. That's the area where he is sore too. Still, no way of knowing whether he's sore because of the saddle (which appears to fit correctly) or because he's hurt himself and having the saddle on aggravates the soreness. Leaning towards the saddle though.

Hope you are being paranoid! Is it too early for hormone related issues?

Reactions: squidsin
Those of you who said it sounded like a saddle issue were completely on the money - the saddler says her saddle is a terrible fit and wholly unsuitable, and has probably been contributing to her stiffness. So it's now on eBay and I am looking for a new one! It is frustrating as that saddle was properly fitted, although I did think he did a bit of a half-ar*ed job at the time, he didn't flock it or anything. And now some of my trailer savings have to be diverted to the saddle. Oh well! At least that explains the nappy behaviour and recent grumpiness under saddle, and it's a good thing that it's nothing wrong with her, and can be corrected fairly easily - just expensively! HORSES!

newrider.com