Horses that escape out of electric fencing

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
have you found a inexpensive way of keeping them in the paddock you want them in???

I have polyposts with green electric wire/twine as a double stranded fence but my little colt seems to have great fun pushing against it and stepping through it. Sometimes he breaks it, other times he just steps through it. he doesn't seem to notice the fairly high electric current it's on.

It has been tested and works fine:)

i am a bit worried about whatever i put up him getting tangled up if he tries to go through it but would like to be able to keep him in a paddock so my daughter can ride our other pony without worrying about the colt joining her!

so any suggestions? or what worked for your horse? i think once he stops he'll stop as he;s only a baby.

would another strand work? would white wide tape rather then the green thin twine work? or would it just give him more to push against?

i can't put up a permanent fence or posts in as i lease the land and am not allowed to.

He always has company in there but is escaping daily!

is this the one on ph???

if hes spooky atall try tying plastic carrier bags around each post, they make
a horrid noise in the wind

is this the one on ph???

if hes spooky atall try tying plastic carrier bags around each post, they make
a horrid noise in the wind

yes it is the same one;) thanks for your help on ph btw........i;ve also pm'd the person you suggested in a similar boat.

i will try the carrier bags although don't know if they'll work as he is bold and not really spooky. but will try it tomorrow anyway as will be a good cheap solution if it works

thats ok, i did wonder, how about some empty tin cans tied together hanging off the fence???

i get the feeling they may work short term but your always going to be a step a head of him!

Good luck, i have tried all of those things and the bxxxxxs still go through it and its wired into mains!!! i have watched them grit their teeth and go and i have to say my welshies are the worst offenders!!

Never had a problem as such but when hooked up to the mains, i knocked me to floor when i accidently caught it and if the spring on the gate touch the floor when it was wet the whole lot would light up about 2-3 metre where it landed :eek: highly unsafe but only one strand was needed to keep them in :p

Fortunately we dont stable at that yard now but if a horse doesn respect electric fence then there isnt much you can do im afraid :eek:

Generally speaking, foals aren't a great respecter of electric fencing. Paddocks need more foal-proofing than for adults.Post and rail, or thick hedges. If the paddock is safe and you're just splitting the areas, then the little one will most likely stay put with the older ones -until the grass is eaten anyway.

ferg jumps out of every field exept one at my yard! which is his field for that reason! he has been seen to jump nearly 5ft over electric fence! little b**ger!

I took him to my friends farm last summer and he jumped a double fence with elecric fence then about 3 foot away from that barbwire!:eek: he could have really hurt himself if he had judged it wrong!! thankfully he cleared it but he had to spend the the rest of the week in a stable! which he didnt enjoy!

shame he wont jump that well with a person on him!:rolleyes:

So i would like to hear peoples suggestions too!

Last edited:
If your horse doesn't respect your fencing then build better fencing, and if you can't please, please move your horse to a better place.

My aunts horses died a few years ago after they escaped her electric fence ran out into the road and crashed in a moving car. One of the horses head when through the windshield and nearly killed the woman driving. My aunt knew her fencing wasn't effective and did nothing about it. I'm not trying to scare you but you know you have a problem and you should do something about it. It was absolutely awful when her horses died. Please don't let something like this happen to you.

Mine have 4 strands with 2 high powered electric boxes,and also use the horse posts rather than the pony posts,its certainly put my lot off from going through!
x

I've found two fences about 3 foot apart stops them, it's as if they can pluck up courage to burst through one lot but the second is too much.

Also I once went to see a horse for sale, a huge entire 3 year old. He was good at escaping and his owner had got the fence tape in a criss cross pattern - hard to explain - and she said he'd not been able to work out how to get through that.

i'm afraid i cant help with the fencing...i'm just really upset that there's been no "new arrivals arrived today" thread - when did they arrive:eek::eek:

We have an escapologist pony who has worked out that the shock is worth the reward if he pushes or jumps his way out of his paddock! :D We tried tying bits of plastic bags, but this didnt really work, havent tried the tin cans ( I WILL be trying that one! )

We did one triple wired fence and then about 1-2 feet out put another fence, single stranded, so that it made a kind of spread, this seemed to work. Especially as our ticker box isnt the best.

Let me know when you find it.
Nimby runs through it when it's not on/rugged. Then eventually after being zapped a few times because we have to put it on again he reverts to jumping it.

Over the summer there wasn't a night that went past he'd jumped into the paddock next to his.

He's been breaking through this new one recently.. but has now been zapped.

Can't really stop him jumping it? Unless i make it tall. But he'll find a way.

double fence? so you have two strands going across... if he gets through the first fence he has a second fence - put them about 3ft apart that usually works.

If your horse doesn't respect your fencing then build better fencing, and if you can't please, please move your horse to a better place.

My aunts horses died a few years ago after they escaped her electric fence ran out into the road and crashed in a moving car. One of the horses head when through the windshield and nearly killed the woman driving. My aunt knew her fencing wasn't effective and did nothing about it. I'm not trying to scare you but you know you have a problem and you should do something about it. It was absolutely awful when her horses died. Please don't let something like this happen to you.

Hi just wanted to say......yes this thread was so i could see if i cou7ld build a mor effective fence. Also iunderstand what you are saying and if there was a chance he could get out onto the lane./road he would be stabled. I have a large 6 acre field that is split into three (large perimeter fence but post and rail, one small paddock within that, one long large paddock down the long side (6 acres by 1 acre approx) which all three are in abd there there is another area i use for schooling which is outside my stables. He is in the long paddock with the others but is getting out into the schooling area. YO prefers it if i don't keep horses in that area as it prevents them access (they are not horsey and am a bit wary of younger horses) also i can't school/let my children ride when i have a unhandled colt zooming about the same area:eek:;)

Mine have 4 strands with 2 high powered electric boxes,and also use the horse posts rather than the pony posts,its certainly put my lot off from going through!
x

I will try this....don't really want to get horse posts unless i really have to as already spent over 1000 on fencing last year:eek: but will try it as a last resort.

I've found two fences about 3 foot apart stops them, it's as if they can pluck up courage to burst through one lot but the second is too much.

Also I once went to see a horse for sale, a huge entire 3 year old. He was good at escaping and his owner had got the fence tape in a criss cross pattern - hard to explain - and she said he'd not been able to work out how to get through that.
he's a intelligent little thing...after seeing him go through the fence i think he;d get through a criss cross but will definitely try the two fences...i had heard that before. Am a bit worried he might get tangled up in it.
i'm afraid i cant help with the fencing...i'm just really upset that there's been no "new arrivals arrived today" thread - when did they arrive:eek::eek:
lol i did write a thread......will try and post a link to it in a minute:) they've been here about two weeks.
double fence? so you have two strands going across... if he gets through the first fence he has a second fence - put them about 3ft apart that usually works.
again will try this:)

first of i will try just putting three strands of wide tape on to see if that makes a difference........if not will be putting up second two stranded fence.

must admit all the others stay put,, he has lots of grass and once he gets out he can't get back in and doesn't have his pals so i don't get why he does it really.

My mare escapes electric fencing-we had to put her into a starvation paddock last year cos of Lammi & she frequently broke it down, once they have done it I have never actually found a cure :eek: They usually lose respect for it after that.

I actually watched her do it one night & I swear she was gritting her teeth-could see it in her face the little minx :D

newrider.com