Horses feeling 'well'?!

ponylover88

Jul 12, 2004
Mine are feeling extremely well in themselves. Took Gem out for a ride (yes, she's recovering from bilateral severe hock spavin...!) where she proceeded to jog, pull me around, bugger off in canter, canter piaffe and airs above the ground... Feeling well I say. Came back absolutely lathered after only 3 miles or so!

On the walk back down our drive I see mum has locked D in the small paddock to get some P&Q while poo picking up the field ... D was going mental, cantering round leaping and bucking. Mum then opened up the gate into the field where D proceeded to take flight, quite literally. She was galloping round, more bucking and leaping but bigger as she had more space. I said 'thanks mum, I'm riding her next!' Got on her and as there's a jump in the menage, she proceeded to tell me in 1000 ways why jumping is just the best and how we really shouldn't just work around it. So I may have done a bit of jumping with her, and gone up to about 50cm. At the end she was still being loopy but decided it was probably time to call it quits!

image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: MrC
Nope, mine is a cool cucumber. She is learning to stroll out of the stable and eat hay and stroll back in.

Jess is like that at the moment, I have just put her back on hay rather than haylage in the hopes it will let her settle a bit

Belle has been very full of the joys for a few weeks now, apparently yesterday she was watching one of the other liveries in the school jumping, this is her very handsome 17hh warmblood boyfriend, when she decided she should join in and proceeded to canter laps of the field bucking and farting and doing sliding stops at the arena fence (so glad she didn't try and join him in there) my friend gave her some hay to try and settle her down but nope she was having none of that!
She's been really forward out hacking lately and an absolute joy to ride, I'm making the most of it before the summer slump hits (she doesn't do hot weather) when I'll get my plod back. Funny girl has been doing very nice steady canter laps of the field quite regularly recently (including some rather lovely lead changes) but only on the days I've not ridden, I appear to have a self exercising horse just now.

Ours are a bit full of it on my yard too. They are moulting - I am hoping all this means we're seeing the back of winter and spring is on the way, yippee!

Mine are moulting too, and in typical grey fashion, it looked like I'd sheared a sheep in our yard after I'd finished grooming Gem. I think she's still got a few more good grooming sessions before she's moult less, but thankfully I'd over rugged her coming into winter so she's actually only got a coat marginally thicker than her summer coat. D doesn't really grow a winter coat, but again, over rugged at start to prevent a thicker coat.

newrider.com