horses and riding, a sport? a passion? a hobby? a lifestyle? . . .

depends, if you ride at a RS like me then probably a hobbie / sport..
but if you're trudging up the field twice a day it can't be anything other than a lifestyle!

ETA: oh yes.. forgot passion :) hopefully it's that too!

lifestyle, its always- well i have to ride/muck out or i have a show, before just about everything else (apart from school)

you cant just have it on the good days, and you cant pick it up and put it down easily or when you want.
you cant say well normal people dont go out when its snowing, or its xmas morning i want to open my presents and slob around and watch crappy tv then have my dinner and snooze all afternoon, they also dont have snooze buttons which means no lie ins (probably the worst thing :eek:)

its the most rewarding hobby or sport or lifestyle, and personally i love riding out when it has snowed and its lovely and crisp and theres no-one around, but you have to work for it.

its different when they are on full livery etc you miss the best bits! :D

Ditto above and Loopy, if you own / loan / work with horses you can't just pick it up and put it down as you wish, your there through the good and the bad. But would we have it any other way? I know I wouldn't......

It's my life :D And I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't remember what I did before I had my own horses, but I have a vague idea that it was boring, unfulfilling and involved an awful lot of TV :eek:
It's the high points of the day, my visits to the yard, and even my boyfriend has accepted that horses are going to be a part of my life (and therefore part of his) for a very long time to come!

Definitely a passion.

I consider it a hobby,my only hobby as I don't get time for anything esle:rolleyes:

The routine part of it and sheer amount of time it takes up surely means it has to be a lifestyle as well??

The only thing it isn't for me is a sport as I don't compete,although does showing in hand count as competing??If so then I guess it's all of them.

Is also a constant drain on my finances does that count??:rolleyes::p

It's my life :D And I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't remember what I did before I had my own horses, but I have a vague idea that it was boring, unfulfilling and involved an awful lot of TV :eek:

Ditto the above. I think before my life revolved around alcohol, going out, sleeping and some sports.
Now my life runs around my horses (and the pooch to be fair). Maybe the odd bit revolves around relaxing with a cider though :D

lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of fun!!!!:D

I don't have my own horse so I class it as my hobby. :D

It depends on if you own/share/have lessons. If you own then its a lifestyle. Everyday is planned around the horses. If you share it is a lifestyle of some sort but not so much as owning full time. If you have lessons its more of a hobby and passion. You still go to all the horsey shows and hang with the horsey crowd but more of a spectator.

I'd say all 3.
But It could only really be a lifstyle if it's the way you live i.e owning or loaning a horse or owning a yard/field or working at a yard etc. If you are like me and just ride weekly then I personally don't count it as a lifestyle.

A passion, well I think anyone who takes riding seriously and loves horses should say it's a passion, the people who go for odd treks on holidays couldn't really call it a passion.

A hobby, well people who enjoy the riding but isn't interested in the horses as such would call it a hobby.

but then again this is my opinion :)

A way of life.

All I know is that, when I am deprived of being around horses for any length of time my life becomes dreary, grey and miserable.

Must be a kink in my nature, but I just can't be without em.:rolleyes:

newrider.com