Horsemanship 'experience' days?

Em 1

Aug 18, 2001
Hi everybody,

I've been on NR for donkey's years (sorry for the pun!) but I've been a terminal lurker for a while now. Last time I was properly active here I had Hew (AAxISH) and Skye (an Eriskay) but I'm now horseless. I doubt anyone really remembers me but I've really missed my time with horses so I hope I'm welcome back here and it's ok for me to still ask all the random questions that I can't ask anywhere else :)

So here's my first question….. does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that offers the chance to experience horses on the ground? I'm sort of thinking of a natural horsemanship/equine therapy/general 'get to know how horses think' type of thing. I have a friend who wants to get into horse riding but knows nothing about horses and so is nervous around them. I thought that if we could spend a day in a quiet, gentle place with easy horses learning about body language etc she might feel more comfortable.

I also very much miss my horsey time and the healing relaxation just watching them and listening to them munch can bring. It really does need to be suitable for complete beginners but if there was the capacity for me to learn more complex handling, long reining etc then that would be great but really not essential. I just miss the smell of horses so a day patting, leading and grooming would be enough for me!

I'm in North Herts fairly close to the Cambridgeshire border but we are willing to travel for the right place. I hope someone can help and I'm very much looking forward to becoming an active poster again - it's time my long horsey drought comes to an end:D

Hi :D Have a chat with valley farm in Suffolk, they do all sorts of experience days for ridden and driven and would bet they do groundwork ones too, or could if asked. I grew up in herts and have that vague feeling there is a NH place somewhere... I'll come back to you if I remember :)

Or you could try here:
http://www.inspirationalhorsemanship.co.uk/ Not sure if she does specific days, she used to, but definitely worth a call and ask, she's very nice and approachable and really keen on helping people understand horses.
I've been to a few of her workshops and they were well worth the money for me. Oh and welcome back to NR and of course your still welcome here :D

Thank you all, both for the welcome and the suggestions :) I'm off to explore now …….

Sadly it all had to go on the back burner for a while for a variety of reasons. Both Jessey's and KiteRider's suggestions looked great when I went on the websites. I was all poised to ring Valley Farm (as they're a bit closer to me) but life got in the way and it didn't happen. I'd also like to ride if we do go over there and I have to lose some weight first so we decided to hang on until things settle down. Unfortunately it will probably be at least February half-term before we manage it:( In many ways I wish I could find a share horse that just needed ground work and stable duties but understandably everyone seems to want someone who can ride. It will happen, I'm just not sure when…..:rolleyes:

I have only just seen this thread. I learned to ride as an adult, my RS lessons always supported by people on NR who rightly included ground work and horse psychology in my equestrian education.

I too found it very hard for anyone without a horse of their own to get the hands on experience I wanted. One could watch demos and clinics (not participate) and the ease of getting anything more depended on the type of natural horsemanship.

This info is from years ago - but the easiest for me then was the Intelligent Horsemanship organisation (Monty Roberts). Some of their Associates did offer hands on days. I went to a group of 5 people which I do not recommend. But look at their website and make enquiries for your friend. One can learn how to lead a horse and control its feet position - from the ground - leading the horse through a maze of poles laid flat on the ground. Backing up and turning.

Parrelli was much harder as Play Days were for owners only tho I was invited to watch, and did drive down to Sussex to have a lesson from a woman who did great work with her own horses. That was a waste as she let me watch only. I didnt do anything myself. Taught me that one needs to be specific about the instruction one is looking for.

Now with hindsight, I feel there are two further way to get tuition. The best known UK horse trainers, e.g. Michael Peace and Richard Maxwell (and there are others too) make private visits to yards to help people with problem horses, or will spend a whole day at a yard teaching a succession of owners. If you can afford it or join with others at your RS, and find a horse you can use, it would probably be possible to book such a visit. A one off visit from a trainer of this type is especially constructive as the trainer will expect the owner or student to progress on their own, without constant supervision. So from what I have seen, it is very much an enabling process.

The cheaper alternative is to employ a ground work teacher, just as you would a riding teacher, where a horse is provided as part of the lesson. I know a brilliant teacher in this area (Surrey, SW London). I had a lesson from her, she then taught my OH and my grand daughter.

I imagine that throughout the country you will find riding instructors and trainers who are enthusiastic about ground work and NH and if you know what you are interested in, you can find instruction close to your home.

However, dont dismiss normal BHS Stable Management lessons at local riding schools - I learned to lead a horse, put on rugs, groom and pick up feet at a local RS. And for BHS Stage 1, (I did the course) one has to learn how to trot a horse up for the vet. I remember that being one of the most frightening things I was ever asked to do. I was about 64 years old and hadnt done much running for a long time. I was afraid I might trip and fall and that the horse would trample me. Many years later, an RI at another yard was worried that a horse she was hacking might be lame and looked for someone to trot it up for her to observe. I did and she was very surprised that I knew how. And I knew how because I had been properly taught - in a Class. Within the BHS syllabus you can also have lessons how to lunge a horse and to long rein.

I think that is what I learned - Once you have been shown how to do something with horses, you dont forget - All it takes is for someone to show you. And you do it with a variety of horses over a long time and it becomes part of your own instinctive repertoire and you can then pass the info on to someone else.

Another possible solution for you is to find a yard or RS where you could help out for half a day each week. Weight wouldnt be an issue and that would give you time with horses. I recently met a regular RS rider who was doing just that, to give her more confidence around horses. My view was that, on its own, this unskilled labour did not help the lady. But being around on a yard would have helped if she had had some ground work lessons at the same time or had already had a lesson in some form of NH. It is a chicken and egg situation. You need to learn and you need practice actually doing what you have learned. Or you forget it. But if you went to a riding school and took a lesson or two in ground work or stable management and then helped out too - that could give you your time with horses. And within the school context, you might even find a horse that was convalescent and not able to be ridden but needing TLC. Amusing and tending horses on box rest was always one of the things I did.

Its a shame you haven't been able to get over there, if I am not too far you would be very welcome to come and play with my guys, even if its just a one off day if we are too far away, Jess is very good at teaching people to do groundwork bacause if you get it wrong she will just do what she wants :) and little hank I have been meaning to do more with and get him going in harness but just haven't got round to it and its not so easy on your own :rolleyes:

Skib, thank you for your reply. It's interesting to hear how you tackled the same issue and what you recommend or would avoid. I did consider a couple of Intelligent Horsemanship associates but they are both quite a distance away so would have to be part of a weekend trip I think. Most other NH people I could find offered group sessions or ones for specific problems all of which are a bit formal at the moment although I do think it will be a good idea if my friend enjoys her initial experiences and wants to carry on learning a bit more. Part of the problem is that I don't know the area in terms of 'horsiness' at all. I used to live in a completely different part of the country and all my equine experience was there so I knew the good yards, the bad yards, where to go for x, y and z etc. Here I'm a bit lost! I have considered trying a riding school but we are limited to weekends and school holidays and so there are usually some 'helpful' teenagers hanging around watching and advising and my friend is just not confident enough to cope with that. However, your comments have made me think again about my need to be around horses and I might well try to find somewhere to help out. Giving extra tlc to a horse on box rest never occurred to me but I'd love it!

Its a shame you haven't been able to get over there, if I am not too far you would be very welcome to come and play with my guys, even if its just a one off day if we are too far away, Jess is very good at teaching people to do groundwork bacause if you get it wrong she will just do what she wants :) and little hank I have been meaning to do more with and get him going in harness but just haven't got round to it and its not so easy on your own :rolleyes:

Jessey, that's so kind of you! We're near the A1 so I guess it's about 1.5 hours to you so sadly too far for a regular thing but we'd love to come and meet you, Jess and Hank and have a play :) I've always thought Jess was gorgeous and my friend is quite taken by Hank - I think she feels he's a manageable size;) I know virtually nothing about driving but would be very happy to learn!

Reactions: Jessey
I think you might be surprised - I would contact some share adverts and explain - I think people feel compelled to offer riding as part of a share, but sure plenty wouldn't mind either way...

Ps I remember Skye - she was the first Eriskay I ever saw a picture of... And I still love them to this day!

I would echo many of the above suggestions. There is a place called "Intuitive Horse" based just outside Hastings, East Sussex. They offer non-riding 3 day retreats (with more advanced 5 day retreats) where you intereact with horses on the ground, learning about body language and herd dynamics etc. Google them - their website is really informative. You don't need any previous horse knowledge either.

I did a BHS stable management course a few years back, but have learnt much more by simply helping out a half day a week at the yard where I ride. It's an opportunity to just be around the horses, as well as being useful to the stables. Sometimes I just spend time talking to the horses and cuddling them (yes - that wonderful smell!) as the paid staff are often too busy to do that.

I think you might be surprised - I would contact some share adverts and explain - I think people feel compelled to offer riding as part of a share, but sure plenty wouldn't mind either way...

Ps I remember Skye - she was the first Eriskay I ever saw a picture of... And I still love them to this day!

I did wonder if people would be willing to have a bit of free labour during the grim winter months…I think I will start to search properly and see if anything crops up. I can offer groundwork as well as stable chores so I suppose I'm not without my uses;)

It's lovely that you remember Skye. Eriskays are cracking little ponies who adore spending time with their humans; Skye was such a total sweetie who was never happier than when he was 'helping' - the only time hot breath on the back of my neck was a good thing:D He used to love being scratched on his hindquarters with the shavings fork I used for poo picking - very BHS. In fact he would then try to take said fork and instead overturn my full barrow. I think he thought I liked picking up the poo so extended my hours of fun:rolleyes::D Very sadly he had degenerative arthritis in both hocks when he arrived with us. Gentle work, 24/7 turnout and No Bute kept it at bay for a good few years but in the end he was lame in the field all the time and so he was put to sleep last year. A lovely little pony whose hairy leg warmers won't be forgotten.

…..There is a place called "Intuitive Horse" based just outside Hastings, East Sussex…..

Thank you so much for this recommendation. I grew up near Hastings so I know the area. I've had a quick look at their website and it looks really interesting definitely something to go on my wish list for the summer when I have more time and hopefully a bit more money.

newrider.com