Horse Won't Walk I Need Help!!!!

canterqueen

Jul 17, 2002
u.s.a
Visit site
HI
I HAVE A 15 YEAR OLD PAINT MARE. SHE IS SO SWEET. WELL SHE HAS BEEN LAME AND NOW HAS GOTTEN BETTER. AFTER SHE WAS WELL SHE WOULDN'T CANTER SHE WOULD JUST BUCK. SO I RODE HER IN THE ROUND PEN, AND FINALLY SHE WOULD CANTER. THEN ONE DAY I TOOK HER OUT IN THE PASTURE. SHE CANTERED BUCKED A LITTLE BUT THEN SHE STARTED DOING GOOD. THEN THE NEXT DAY SHE JUST STOPPED AND WOULDN'T WALK. I WOULD KICK HER AND THEN SHE TRIED TO BITE MY FEET. NOW I KICKED HER IN THE MOUTH AND TOLD HER NO. THEN I HAD MY SISTER RIDE HER HORSE WITH ME AND THAT DIDN'T WORK SO I LUNGED HER AND MADE HER COME TO ME AND RODE HER TO THE GATE OF THE ROUND PEN. HOW CAN I JUST MAKE HER WALK WITHOUT HER TRYING TO BITE ME AND JUST DO IT HAPPILY AND NOT TRY TO FIGHT IT. THANKS
CANTERQUEEN :cool:

I POSTED IT IN MORE THAN ONE FORUM BECUZ I NEED RESULTS FAST. I TRIED THE KICKING BUT IT ONLY MAKES HER MAD. I AM A 1ST TIME HORSE OWNER AND I HAVE READ BOOKS BUT NOTHING ANSWERS MY PROBLEM

Originally posted by canterqueen
HI
...WELL SHE HAS BEEN LAME AND NOW HAS GOTTEN BETTER. ..THEN THE NEXT DAY SHE JUST STOPPED AND WOULDN'T WALK. I WOULD KICK HER AND THEN SHE TRIED TO BITE MY FEET. NOW I KICKED HER IN THE MOUTH AND TOLD HER NO. ...HOW CAN I JUST MAKE HER WALK WITHOUT HER TRYING TO BITE ME AND JUST DO IT HAPPILY AND NOT TRY TO FIGHT IT. THANKS
CANTERQUEEN :cool:

I agree with the others, you haven't said how long she was lame for and how you know she is ok now. She could still be hurting but 'sound', she could be quite unfit from her layoff and now you are asking her to canter all the time. You also don't say why she was lame.

If she is not moving and biting at your feet (possibly the girth but your feet are in the way), you should check her gear - is she being hurt by the girth\saddle?

If she bucks, then won't move and bites I'd take it that something is very wrong and kicking is not the answer. Being a good horseperson is not about MAKING your horse do something, its about being a partner to your horse. Please find out what is wrong and please stop trying to canter her until you do.

If you imagine that you had been on bed rest for a couple of weeks, perhaps say because you had injured a part of your body through exercise, then after the couple of weeks you were allowed to start exercising again, you would be advised to consult your doctor for a final check up before starting a programme.

It's the same for horses!! Personally, as you are a first time horse owner, and it seems as though you don't have anyone around to help you, I would get the vet to come out and check your pony again. As the others have said, she sounds like she is uncomfortable somewhere. Horses don't behave so badly in such situations for no reason.

Have you checked for any heat in her feet, down her legs (also for any swelling/bruising), any other injuries? She could even have damaged her back while bucking, or it has become weak due to not being ridden due to her lameness. There are so many reasons why she has behaved this way and the most obvious is that she is in pain or uncomfortable.

Please get a knowledgeable person/vet/riding instructor to have a look at your pony before riding her again.

agree with the others,

you should run you hands down her legs, and check for heat and swelling.

the mare i ride, bit my leg, cuz she is a thin skinned TB, and she was trying to get at the flies that were around her girth area.

try taking it very slowly, and get the vet out to give u the okay to starte excercising again.

Canterqueen, this is a horse site. Everybody loves horses here, and they hate to see them get hurt. That was wrong of you to kick her in the mouth, and I hope you won't ever do it again. It doesn't sound like she was being that bad. Especially not bad enough for you to kick her in the mouth. :( Not even the meanest horse in the world should be treated that way.

I hope you learn that horses are more then just a toy, and that just a 'little kick' can harm your horse for life!

It's very easy to imagine that horses are being awkward, or mean, or lazy or whatever. Even people who have ridden for years can still have that attitude.

I think you should start off looking at every problem by assuming that your horse is a nice person, and if he/she has a problem that you don't understand, give the horse the benefit of the doubt. Your first thought should be "what is my horse trying to tell me?"

It's much nicer to believe that your horse really isn't getting at you on purpose, and generally it's true! If you look at things with a completely open mind & no bad feelings it's usually much easier to get to the bottom of a problem.

As far as your horse goes, Canterqueen, I do think she's trying to tell you she's unhappy and hurting in some way, & hopefully the vet may be able to throw some light on it. If not, keep looking & thinking - that's the bones of becoming a horsewoman.

Canterqueen, you can not be offered advice unless you give information. How long have you been a horse handler? Was your horse treated by a vet to remove the metal from her foot? Why would she fight the bit? Has your Mum any horse experience? Was your horse a willing ride before she was lame?

Lesley

newrider.com