Horse with no brakes

AJ Yammie

Aug 24, 2021
Hi all,
I rode my mare the other day and I couldn’t stop her with seat, voice and hand all together, I had to one rein stop her heaps. I’m not her usual rider, someone else rides her but only on trails. How can I teach her to stop? She bolted on me yesterday and we were going straight towards a fence and I had to one rein stop her otherwise she’d have gone through it. She’s an amazing horse otherwise but I’m not sure how to teach her to stop and I have to fix that before I can sell her. Any suggestions? She’s a 14 yr old.
Thanks

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Check with the other rider (gently) how she normally behaves, does she get strong? Do they just let her go as fast as she likes? Do they have certain places they always gallop? Etc. You may find they have inadvertently trained her to do this. There’s a big difference between being carted off with and a truly bolting horse.

Reschooling wise I’d just do 100’s of transitions every ride, walk to halt until she’s really soft and only then introduce faster paces. I’d probably keep it in an arena or small paddock initially too so she can’t get a head of steam built up.

Reactions: carthorse

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
As @Jessie said there is a world of difference between refusing to stop and bolting, if you hope to sell her don't talk about her bolting because no one in their right mind buys a bolter unless they want a retired pet. Also if you could stop her with a one rein stop, even if it wasn't instant, then it wasn't a bolt - a bolter just doesn't stop, your aids are meaningless because the horse that was trained is no longer there and that's why they are so dangerous.

As well as checking what the rider has been doing with her consider how good a rider they are. It may be that they have a very different style to you that the horse has got used to and prefers, it may be that they are very good and have the mare more attuned to the aids and so you were confusing her - that's something I've seen many times.

Then there's the standard check her saddle still fits and she isn't in discomfort, that can make some horses reluctant to halt. Was it just going home, and so nappiness? Was there a common factor each time it happened?

AJ Yammie

Aug 24, 2021
The saddle just got fitted a week ago, I had to change to a thicker saddle pad to keep it up off her withers a bit more (it’s a western saddle) but otherwise I was told it’s a good fit.

The other rider said she’s always strong headed, we’ve only had her for about a year and she’s only been ridden about 10 times with us.

It was going away from home, on a different property, going back home, everywhere. The other rider just walks though, I’m the only one that’s done trot and canter on her since we’ve had her

Equilab says I do 150 transitions average but I could up that with her. I’m on break in one week so I’ll be able to work with her a lot more. I don’t have an arena or small paddock at the moment but I have a large 25m round pen that I can work in.
Thanks 😊

Reactions: Jessey

AJ Yammie

Aug 24, 2021
And yeah, I’ve realise it wasn’t a bolt, I’ve been on a horse that really did bolt, a tree fell just 5 m away and the horse galloped away with me and only came to a stop once there wasn’t a tree in sight, she was drenched in sweat and shaking, that horse is probably faster than Winx 😂 my coach freaked out and apologised for ages about it

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Is that only ridden 10 times since you bought her or only ridden 10 times by you? If it's since you bought her then I'd guess a lot of the problem may be she needs more regular work.