Horse viewing went very interestingly.

Meovcorz

Mar 5, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Well, yesterday when I went to look at 'Ruben' (the Arab gelding) Well basically it was very interesting.
We arrived at this lady's place who is selling Ruben, and I went over had a look at him, he didn't want me as a stranger to catch him (don't really blame him), and he went to walk away from me and I just walked right past him and he followed me, and finally he let me catch him. I found out very quickly that he is a bit head shy. Then the lady brought out a saddle that she uses for a pony of hers (I said, "nice saddle" and she says "Yes, it's a western saddle" I was like HUH? - it was a english saddle :D ), and that was too small for him (but not to bad), and also brought out a bridle that was WAY to small for him. and she says "Oh it the bit might be to small for him" I had a look at the bit, and yes it was a bit small but the biggest problem was that the bridle was made for a pony, not for a cob sized horse, on top of that it was a Pelham bit, so my friend jumped on (he has more confidence than I have and offered to do so) and he said that there was no way that he could really feel what the horse was thinking because the bit was hurting his mouth without even touching the reins. So we decided we would come back with my saddle my friends saddle and a cob sized bridle with a snaffle bit. But what kinda annoyed me was because I had to explain to this woman that the bridle was to small, because I had this feeling that she knew more than she did about horses ahwell. I guess she just learnt something new and my patience just learnt to be little more patient. Also they were using dog leads for lead ropes ;D.

Ruben was a bit edgy, looked very nice. Will try to get you photo's, I got photo's taken, just haven't gotten them loaded on to the computer yet. :D I could feel with working with him on the ground that he is a nervous with people :D. But that is something I can handle it is on board that I have most of my probs. I walked him through quite narrow opening's and he didn't rush though them he just calmly walked through. Also, his trot was much slower than Blue's, which is good :D. As much as I love long strides. he had very nice movement.

But, it will have to be next time I go and have a look at him and ride him before I will give my answer :D.

Sounds like a gorgeous boy, with a typical non-horsey owner :rolleyes:.
Do you think he'd act better with a different saddle and bridle?

Yes, I do, really watching him. I am not certain, but it def want hurt to find out. And I do want to find out, because he was really quiet in one way, but in another way he is really nervous, like I said very head shy. Apparantly he has done some endurance, but who knows :D.
He is gorgeous. With a very nice movement.

Yeah I'll have photo's on here soon :D promise :D. You'll have to look past his dirt, it was raining, and it was obvious he had rolled :D.

I will get him IF he comes up to my riding standards (safe reliable horse I am not going to kill myself on, or kill me :D). So it will be interesting. I also LOVE arabs. I will keep all of you updated on if I get him or not :D. Well of course, :D you'd findout pretty quickly if I bought him :D.

I have to say that this sounds dodgy:eek: I thought is was a bit sus when he was for sale at only $800. Pilgrim be careful when you ride this horse as I don't trust that lady to have given you a full and true story. He looks like he has not been ridden in a while as he does not seem to have much muscle in the back end.

I feel sorry for this horse and if you take him on I suspect you may have a few little issues to address. I suspect that if he is headshy it is because they have used that tooooo small bridle and pelham bit in his mouth, he was also reluctant to be caught another sign that he is not keen on what being caught entails.

Otherwise he looks very nice, has a nice kind eye and he is friendly because he followed you.

Good luck:)

Yeah, I know I really couldn't resist, anyway, he really needed a bridle and a saddle that fitted him better to hear him, and I didn't get on him, or else I would know more :D.

Penga, I would like to explain, that this is a friend that is selling him, the owners are moving interstate, and also one weird thing, they (the owners) screen there calls, so might be drugy's or something, so don't want people coming on there place. Um, the Bridle isn't used for him, and yes, he hasn't been ridden in awhile, the bridle goes to a little pony she rides, and the saddle too. So really I really need to go and try him out again. Apparently he was ridden by children.

Sorry Pilgrim having a confused moment - was the lady showing you him your friend or his owner?

Definitely go and have a second look at him with correctly fitting tack - and then have a ride and see how he responds. He is lovely and has nice movement.

I bought a horse that was advertised as a beginner - errr how the lady let her kids ride Mysty is mystery as Mysty is definitely not a beginner horse, so I am now always extra careful when looking at horses advertised as beginners or good with children:eek:

He is a gorgeous boy. I'd be very tempted!

Looking at the photos, I can see some warning signs of a sore back (I speak from bitter experience!) that may take some time to fix.

I think if you buy him, you should budget in some money for a good therapist to treat him before doing any "proper" ridden work with him. You may also need to do some work from the ground (long reining, stretches, massage) yourself to help with this.

He has a very honest expression. As you've said, he does appear a bit cautious. Of course, you've got every chance of working through this, so long as you're aware he may be more complex than he appears, and have the time and confidence (and money!!) to work through any issues he may throw at you.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

thanks Est, wouldn't have thought of that. I really don't know what I would do if it weren't for all of you really helpful people on here. I will go and have another look at him, might even get an experienced friend out.

I just wanted to say I was thinking today on hind site. and if you read the other thread on this horsey, many people said he had HORRIBLE confirmation, and I remembered the previous owner saying that when she would bring him up into canter he would buck "just a kick up of his heels buck" that's what she says, and I think that was prob. either sore back, or wasn't being ridden enough. Am very glad I took everybody's advice on here :D.

Regarding the bridle, to be fair,all the arabs I know wear pony bridles. My boy is 15hh and wears a 'frankenstein' bridle made up of a cob browband with a pony headpiece and a 5inch bit. Looks quite small until you get it on him! Oh, and why have the photos been deleted? Are you going to have him then?

I don't seriously know why the photos are deleted, I think they do that just 'cause then they can take more on there site.

But, seriously the bridle was WAY to small, it might have even been a shetland pony or somethign like that, cause she was only riding 11 or 12HH ponys.

No, am not getting him. There was someone else who was interested, but I was first, they obviously (if you look at the date of this thread) sold him.

newrider.com