Horse trying to bolt downhill

Skeeder

Oct 22, 2007
Ok here goes there is a horse I know who is fine on the flat but as soon as you get to a hill ie downhill he tries to bolt or he feels like he is going to I rode him out for a friend as she wanted to see if it was just her but I felt the same thing I had to turn him round in a circle or else I think he would have took off turned him round to go downhill and he stopped and then when I asked him to go on again he again felt as though he was going to run off! So we ended up going downhill sideways which obviously made it harder for him to try to bolt. Got on the flat and he was fine put him behind another horse going down next hill and he was ok so its when he is leading and having to go downhill.
Any ideas on why he would do this just going downhill could his feet be sore or something like that he shod all round Mel x:confused:

Going down hill is much harder for a horse, he has to change his balance and get his hocks under him and work his back. My mare does not know how to go down hill, she tries to go sideways or rushes. She is an ex-racer and works brilliantly on the flat but just does not know what to do with a hill. I need to do lots of hill work to get her balanced and muscles working correctly, this might help you too.:)

The only other thing is that if the saddle isn't well fitted it maybe more uncomfortable when going down hill as the spine forms a different shape. However I suspect he's just like my girl and doesn't know what to do.

Last edited:
newrider.com