Horse travelling issues

clashnoir

May 19, 2010
Nr Edinburgh, Borders
I remember seeing someone on here had issues with travelling and found some sort of treatment/technique or something.

Basically, my friend may be moving house and her horse who is nearly 20 got injured years ago travelling and now wont travel. Loads no bother but as soon as the engine is started she goes APE. Tried a trailer and a lorry but to no avail.
Suggestions please?

Been through this. Number one don't sedate as less coodination means more chance of falling over. JUst have to go very very slowly i'm afraid. Practise loading, practise loading with another cars engine on nearby, gradually getting closer untuil you can turn towing car on without reaction. Experiment with what they like best, eg other horse, no horse, big space, little space and just build up doing tiny, tiny trips. If you move a metre the first time and she's happy then stop and make a big fuss! Good luck :)

ProKalm, very good calmer. :D

Henry never used to be the best traveller, he'd load fine but not travel well, alone he once sat on the partition (pulling it off the wall and thankfully only grazing his legs), in company he'd still sweat up, get stressed and behave like erm, well a racehorse when he got to the other end, including jumping off the ramp and trying to barge off once the partitions were open. Bear in mind he was on the lorry twice a week, not doing exciting things but going from fields to the yard so not exciting or stressful journeys.

We didn't travel for 18 months until May of this year when I wanted to go to a show, not sure if it was the break or the ProKalm but he loaded, travelled like a pro, didn't sweat up and at the other end casusally sauntered off the lorry like he did it on a daily basis.

That's the problem with a bigger horse. If they throw a hissy fit they can so easily injure themselves......if a Shetland throws a hissy fit, you can treat them like a toddler, leave them to get on with it in the knowledge they will stop sooner or later and do themselves little damage.

I assume he will load? but it's the engine he freaks out at? Will he go near a lorry with the engine running?

Sometimes a bit of "happy juice" will make them perceive the problem in a different way and a bit of light sedation can help them have a positive experience.

That's the problem with a bigger horse. If they throw a hissy fit they can so easily injure themselves......if a Shetland throws a hissy fit, you can treat them like a toddler, leave them to get on with it in the knowledge they will stop sooner or later and do themselves little damage.

I assume he will load? but it's the engine he freaks out at? Will he go near a lorry with the engine running?

Sometimes a bit of "happy juice" will make them perceive the problem in a different way and a bit of light sedation can help them have a positive experience.

Does all that. Fine with vecile running as long as she isnt in it. Would stand in the trailer/lorry all day, just the minute its started up she really hits the roof and she is a big cob. Think there is possibly some Clyde in her line. Drugs are the answer. LSD or something might just do the "trip" . Sorry!

We spent 2 year getting Charlie to travel, after he was insistent on jumping breast bar and getting in a right state.

We now travel him without Partition and Cross tied, we use Oxyshot as well and can confirm it does work for us..... we are trying to wean him off it as he gets better - can do it with less dosage now.

newrider.com