Horse Training ! HELP !

Jenny--x

Jan 26, 2009
Hi !

This post is basically about careers in training horses. I am 14 and thinking of careers. I was wandering if anyone would be able to tell me what it involves, good ways to get experience and things like that. I want to do this because I have had 3 horses in my life. First one was a riot and I didn't keep her as I was inexperienced and that was the biggest most pressurised decision of my life. Then the second. I shared her and she wasn't easy but we got on great. Now I have Whisper. She is hard. very hard. but this time im not stopping and i will keep getting back on no matter what because sometimes just for a minute she is the most beautiful caring horse in the world. So what would be good experience any one been and done this ?

I think you may need to widen your idea slightly as training just the horse has its limits. Most people end up needing to be all rounders - grooming, teaching, schooling, exercising etc

I don't know about needing to be an 'all rounder' from a career perspective, but I believe 'training' is necessarily more than just training the horse. It is also about training & instructing the humans in the equation, if you are to be fair to the horses.... and humans.

Aside from also learning from my own horses, as you have(& they're the best teachers if you know how to listen!), I did what I suggest below when I first decided to be a trainer....

I'd go ask a range of different horsey professionals if I could come 'interview' them & watch them work, then choose those who you like & ask if you can work for them in exchange for some instruction - as in work experience.

I would also read up all you can on theory, as it's important to understand the principles behind the practice. I suggest equine ethology, behavioural psychology(don't be frightened - tech term for theories of learning/training), clicker training, and a range of different 'brands' of training - eg. classical, natural horsemanship, and disciplines such as dressage, etc. You can learn a lot about these subjects on the net, without outlaying any money, then when you've decided what you want to get more indepth with, you can buy books, vids, etc to further your knowledge.

wundahoss put it better than me - but there was something extra I was trying to say.

You need to know what your market is - if it is just "training horses", how many people are likely to bring their horse to you rather than anyone else and what will they pay for the service ? Of course not all of what you get is profit - as having the horse to train is going to cost you as well. That is why I commented people normally have to do more things - because the market for training horses is simply not big enough. (Take me for example - I have been riding for over 35 years - I have had lessons with people but I have never sent a horse to be trained by anyone. )

There are normally figures you can find, if you google, for salary surveys on particulars jobs. Don't know the current figures for equestrian jobs. (Just don't forget you need to take tax and NI off them before you start "spending" what is left ;) )

Work out what kind of lifestyle you want to have and talk to people about what income you might need to have that. (e.g. it is pretty easy to find out how much a house of flat of X size costs to rent etc).

Somehow your chosen career needs to cover your costs, as well as being something you want to do. Sad fact - but true.

newrider.com