Horse That Won't Move Forward at Times

wanabe

Apr 8, 2005
Pine Forests of Southeast Texas
I've been riding a horse in my lessons, recently, that beginners have trouble "even getting to walk" at times. I realized in riding him that he's fine MOST of the time but that sometimes he just will NOT go forward -- for no reason apparent to me. When I've started to increase the aids I've felt an incipient buck or min-rear. My solution was to turn him and have him walk on in another direction and then walk him into the area he didn't want to go from a different angle. This is fine for me, but I realize this is probably why beginners say they can't get him to walk -- they don't realize this is only a sometimes thing and don't know how to handle it.

My question is what do you think is going on in his head? I assume he's afraid of something, but I can't figure out what it might be! This happens in different areas of different arenas and he'll be fine in that same arena in that same spot (I think) on a different day. Anyone else have experience with a horse like this and figure out what was going on in his head?

When my horse started to get silly about going forwards sometimes, it turned out it was his saddle fit.

Yours could even just be bored of work in the school. Has anyone tried to make his work a bit more interesting? Is there something that he obviously enjoys doing? If so, see if he still refuses to go forward then

my pony used to get loads of stoppages as you call it, he'd rest his leg into the bargain as well.

tack, back teeth checked was first. second it turned out to be his pure lack of schooling and understanding of the aids and he was only then not long backed as in 6mths. he's still not a forward going chap and it ws no use using a stick as you would get a fly buck. i didn't want to start a battle.

maybe lots of different riders are confusing the pony so can cope some can't as you are doing something which works but then others will have same problem and to some extent the pony has learnt it can stop.

newrider.com