Horse riding and me

Straight Egyptian

Mar 17, 2021
Hello there .
I used to be a regular rider about 35 years ago , and was ok with riding , not a pro but never had issues with riding .
Then I had to quit riding due to the usual life responsibilities of raising a family , taking care of my aging parents , and establishing a career ........etc .
Yet throughout all these years , my love of horses and horse riding never faded , and here I am , after retirement , and freedom from many responsibilities , back to riding , but unfortunately from scratch .
Yes , I say from scratch because I'ts as if I forgot everything about riding , even the basics .
I lost my fitness and badly enough , lost my courage .
I can't keep my balance , neither with the canter nor with the trot , and I keep bouncing miserably on the horse .
However , at 66 years old , and after just 5 exhausting lessons , I'm determined to carry on to restore all what I have lost with all these years away from horses , if not to become even better .
Wish me good luck
Thank you

Hi and welcone to the forum. Dont get to disheartened. Im sure it will come back to you with a few lessons under your belt. Its just a question of getting on the right horse and you will be relaxed and enjoying your riding in no time.

Welcome! Don't be too down - I had a few years off riding when my old boy retired, and started again 3 years ago. I'm 65 and I'm pretty sure I'm a mess in thesaddle saddle - all over the place! I'm also a shocking wimp now - can't believe how brave I used to be! A lot of it will come back to you in time, especially if you relax and enjoy it for what it is. Keep us posted on how you get on.

Welcome! Don't be too down - I had a few years off riding when my old boy retired, and started again 3 years ago. I'm 65 and I'm pretty sure I'm a mess in thesaddle saddle - all over the place! I'm also a shocking wimp now - can't believe how brave I used to be! A lot of it will come back to you in time, especially if you relax and enjoy it for what it is. Keep us posted on how you get on.
👍💐

Don't be disheartened. I got my Buddy 7 years ago when i hadn't ridden for over 8 years despite having horses but none fit to ride. I was about to give up completely, i was 59. I lost my cob Molly and had £700 insurance so went to look for a horse to ride NOW and found Buddy. I was like a sack of potatoes, no muscle at one but i still had my bottle. And I progressed with him, doing long rides etc. He has had the winter off and now i am back riding again, a bit stiff when i get off but fine. I use a mounting block otherwise no way i could get on. He can be excitable and prances a lot but i feel safe on him and we have fun. Just take it as it goes, i am now 65, I feel quite good in the saddle, i haven't fallen off, and i feel confident with him in every situation. So much so that last summer i backed my rescue mare and intend to bring her on more this year. Ask for them to put a neck strap on to help you balance, and if you can walk and hack out it will help your confidence. I would be blooming useless doing canter circles in a school, it has never been my thing. I just get on and out we go and see the countryside. Try not to be downhearted, it does come back! It also depends on the horse, Bud's trot is his worst pace, he has a nice walk and a good canter but trot he is very bouncy, Suze has a lovely trot, very comfy, doesn't throw you around at all.

You have only had 5 lessons. That is nothing. I need to see to breakfast now sothis will be short. I too loved horses and always wanted to ride but didnt start till I was 61. That is 20 years ago.
In my first year with a bullying teacher it did not go well. Canter in the school came to me very late but as people suggest here, I had a weekly lesson but I also hacked once a week.
Get a body protector as falls are more likely out hacking but hacking gives one a chance to communicate with and control the horse, free from intervention. As for balance, I would look for an experienced lunge teacher. Even in a regular school you should be able to work without stirrups. You need to be sitting on your seat to balance well and to feel the movement of the horse under you.
My top tip is to remind you that though it feels like you are being thrown up and down, the movement of the horse is side to side.
As he moves his right hind leg off the ground, your right hip will fall. Think of a table missing one leg. That corner of the table will dip down. You should be able to feel it in walk. In trot the movement is the same as in walk. It is only canter which is different. Relax, breathe deep and feel for that movement.
It wont just help you now but will in future be the way to more complicated things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Straight Egyptian
Hi welcome to NR 😁 I’d agree, don’t be disheartened, it takes time to get the muscles working that are never used for anything but riding, you’ll get there 🙂 keep us posted on how you’re getting on and we love to see pictures 😁

Reactions: Straight Egyptian
Haha its so true about getting your riding muscles working again. I returned to riding after a 30 year break and remember the instructor telling me to 'put my leg on' and my leg had no clue how to do it. My brain was sending the signals but there was absolutely zero response. I don't even think there are any exercises you can do other than keep riding.

(I also don't think young instructors or older people who've ridden all their lives truly understand what it's like to not have working muscles where they're supposed to be 😄 )

Oh wow I can so relate! I am just buying another riding horse. It's only 2.5 since I last rode, but everything has turned to jelly, and when I tried a horse yesterday I couldn't even get him to go into canter! I'm 60 and not as flexible and strong as I used to be.

Keep at it, eventually you will realise that it's stopped hurting. Oh my, I am hurting today!

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com