Horse racing

Well I may be able to convince you about the grand national/jump racing...

The horses enjoy it, it is a way of life for some people and Idont belive what people say about what happens when the horses get old, because racing is peoples life and they do care about the horses, they arent only in it for the money. Also... if the horses dont enjoy it, why do they continue running when their riders fall off?

i went down to middleham yesterday (where all the racing stables are) and all the horses were skinny and you could see their ribs sticking out.their teeth were black, they all had tatty horrible rugs on that were way too small, the stables were tiny and most of them had serious weving problems.
but the worst thing was seeing the little two year olds standing in the stables already brocken and in work whan they should be out in the feilds untouched for at least another year

personaly i think its a cruel and heartless way of life
sory but after that nothing can convince me

cobsrgood said:
all the horses were skinny and you could see their ribs sticking out.their teeth were black, they all had tatty horrible rugs on that were way too small, the stables were tiny and most of them had serious weving problems.

i've seen that - and worse - in a riding school. does that make all riding schools bad? no. so unless you've seen a fair cross-section of racing yards (or all preferably), its not fair to tar them all with the same brush.

i went to see five.
and i'm not saying you all should think racing is bad it just my opinion and i'm sure there are some nice racing yards and i understand that the horses have to be skinny for racing (so dont you all start at me for that too!)
all i'm say ing is that i think its a bit harsh the way some are treat

if racing is really that bad then how come the horses carry on running and jumping the fences (if any) with the other horses in the race if their jockey has come off. and my mums friend owns a racehorses and they are very well looked after and she has 3 retired ones aswell.

but i do agree with cobsrgood saying that they should be left out to grow up more not broken in and raced at 2-3

personally im not a fan of racing as a sport. i have an ex racer, and have ridden and looked after many ex racers and some racers that were coming back into work to go to the trainers (one i rode went on to win the cheltenham gold cup), my horse likes to canter, but thats only because thats all she knows how to do. when i first took her out in the trialer when i got her i took her out of the trailer covered in sweat and she stood and shook with fear. they keep running after the riders fall off because they are herd animals, they just follow the herd.
i have heard some horror stories about some yards, and my mare was going to be shot as she couldnt produce another foal, and this was at a racing stud.

Racing is, primarily, an industry. The TB was bred, and still is bred, to be a spped machine. I enjoy racing, and I think that it gets way too much bad press. You must remember that if half a ton of flesh, blood, bone, and muscle, does not want to do anything, then no amount of cajoling, or mistreatment will make it change it's mind.

Yes racehorses do sometimes get injured, and sadly some of them pay the ultimate penalty for the enjoyment of man, but equally, there are some owners out there who care more for the welfare of the horse than how much it will win them or how much it will go for at the sales.

please, we all love our horses, and care deeply for them, but we cannot afford to get all worried about an industry that has been around since before Roman times, and will, most likely, outlive us.

cobsrgood said:
i went to see five.
and i'm not saying you all should think racing is bad it just my opinion and i'm sure there are some nice racing yards and i understand that the horses have to be skinny for racing (so dont you all start at me for that too!)

horses shoudlnt' be skinny for racing, not in the slightest, they should be fit. Often they appear thinner because of the muscle they develop for racing, their belly's stay trim and tight. Its not like they are underweight (at least most shouldn't be.) THink of it this way, how worth it is it to underfeed your racehorse? Probably not worth it at all since a horse that doesn't have enough food won't have the energy to put in a good race. They want their horse to win, if they aren't getting enough calories to burn during the race they'll come in last everytime. Smart trainers know to keep their horses healthy. They will do things like put extra time between races and give ample time off for any injury. Not every barn does this of course, but there are barns out there that generally do care about their horses and are in racing because they love it and not because it makes them money.

I can't say i agree with all aspects of racing, but i love watching it and as long as they put as much effort as they can into keeping the horses healthy i won't argue against it. Some horses really do seem to love to run, just as some love to jump or do dressage, go on trail rides or what have you.

anywho I suspect that like hunting this is one of those arguments that will never be solved.

fatflamingo said:
... i definetly dont lik it !!!!!!!!i have seen to many retired race horses abandoned!
xFatfx:(

I have seen too many riding horses abandoned. Horses that were once the treasured member of a family. That's sad.

I dont like the falls though it looks painful

at fences etc, and some have carts or chariots attached to them and i`ve seen it on telly on a funny clips show when theyfell the trampling and the wheels...! i ran upstairs crying!!:(

cobsrgood said:
i went to see five.
Which yards did you go to?
Pm me them rather than say on here if you want

fatflamingo said:
i beacuse of injuries no one wants them!

:(

:rolleyes: I've got two injured ex-racehorses, what do you mean no one wants them :eek:

I can see both sides of the argument - as per ILPH's website's comments this week.

But I do wonder if a compromise would be better eg no jumps / lower jumps / jumps that fell over more easily - as it seems to be the jumps where they all pile up in a sad heap, legs everywhere!

It seems a shame that only 9 horses of 40 finished one of the big races last week. Surely that must indicate that things need reviewing? Maybe it's better for the betting that way though.

parsharainbow said:
:rolleyes: I've got two injured ex-racehorses, what do you mean no one wants them :eek:
people like you do(sorry if i offended you) but some cant be bothered (who own the horses) and neglect them beacuse they dont bring in any money.. they can get sold off cheaply aswell they are living things would we do that to humans:( !?

becs said:
I can see both sides of the argument - as per ILPH's website's comments this week.

But I do wonder if a compromise would be better eg no jumps / lower jumps / jumps that fell over more easily - as it seems to be the jumps where they all pile up in a sad heap, legs everywhere!

It seems a shame that only 9 horses of 40 finished one of the big races last week. Surely that must indicate that things need reviewing? Maybe it's better for the betting that way though.
i agreee about the jumps i feel strongly about this and some thing does need to be done i can only just about cope with the betting but its their choice and their money so...?:(

newrider.com