Horse Owners worse nightmare :( retire or Put to sleep

I absolutely adore my horse to peices :( I've posted recently about him being really ill, So far the vets can't find a cause of his illness he's been in horse hospital all week, he now looks like a bag of bones not the beautiful Irish TB I know. This illness all started in May and has got progressively worse in the last month

I am distraught on what to do for him, they're going to try one more test tomorrow but have out rightly said they may never find the route cause of his illness.
He's 13/14 years old and I love him to bits, but he looks miserable and so ill. His muscles that he had built up have just disapeared.

Tonight he just looked like he wants to give up, as he's collapses I am too scared to ride him because its too unpredictable and he colics so often now, this is no life for him. each time the colic espisodes are getting more and more worse. I know if I retire him he would get bored out of his brains and this is no life for him but I can't imagine not having him here either

Please could you post your thoughts & opinions. This is the hardest thing I've ever been through

i think he has made the decision for you *hugs*

you know what is best for him, and it is a brave selfless owner who makes that decision to PTS even though it will be unimaginable for you.

*hugs* im sure you have the support of every NR

So sorry to hear about your boy.

While reading this I remembered a member on another forum who had similar trouble with her mare. She was actually put to sleep at Leahurst when surgery didn't help and I think actually made it worse. They couldn't find the problem when she was alive but I dont think she would mind me sharing the PM

"It has been concluded that she was suffering from IBD - Irritable Bowel Disease and this is what was causing the repeated bouts of Colic. Having discussed with the vet it is not known what causes this and as a condition it is very difficult to diagnose and long term prognosis was not great".

i think you have to be brave and do the last kindnest that you can do for your beloved horse. it is not fair to him to let it go on for too long if nothing is helping. im so sorry that i cant say it less bluntly; im glad he has an owner who can be so loving and selfless.

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely boy, it is an absolutely horrible situation for you to be in, but you have to be strong and do what is best for him.

Sending massive hugs to you both.

x

((hugs))
An awful decision, especially at such a young age. But a decision many horse owners have to make one day, and the only thing I am 100% certain of is that when the one person in the world who loves the horse more than anything calls it a day, then the timing is right.
Better a day too early than a week too late -- if his quality of life has decreased so much that he he cannot be happy, he's basically taken the decision out of your hands.

Over a year ago, I posted a thread here asking how people know when it's time to let their beloved horse go. Everyone insisted that I would simply *know*. And shockingly, that time came for me & my horse only two weeks after the thread ... and all the posters were right. I did know.

((hugs))

(((Hugs))) hun, I really hoped the hospital would have found something.

I hate to say it but it sounds like the kindest thing you can do for him is let him go. Bring him home, ask the vet for plenty of pain relief, have one last good day with him & then let him go - it's what I ope I'd be brave enough to do in your position.

Thinking of you.

oh god im so sorry for you. think what would be best for him (((HuGs)))

I made the decision to have my old horse PTS when he didn't thrive during the summer. I was not going to let him do a winter.

I had had him since I was a kid.

Looking back at the photos of him in his prime and the week before he was PTS made me feel better, I knew I had done the right thing. Not an easy thing to do, but the right one.

So sorry to hear your story. I agree that from what I have gathered, PTS seems the best option for him. Sometimes there is simply nothing you can do except relieve them of pain..

Full marks to you for exploring all the avenues first, and trying to find out the problem. You will know in your heart you have done everything you possibly can to help him.

On the other hand Good luck with the final tests, I hope they show up something for you.
x

I'm so so sorry and sending big hugs and healing thoughts to your lovely horse. I just watched your youtube link and tears were streaming down my face. I truly hope he makes a recovery. Stay strong and you will do the right thing, you know your horse more than anyone and will know what to do if and when the time comes xx

I'm so sorry it is a horse owners worst nightmare, I think you know your answer from the sounds of the post.

I really hope they find some answers in the next tests for you and there is some hope he will pull through this.

The best thing any owner can do for their horse is knowing when it is time and not keeping them going when they are in pain and unhappy and nothing can be done for their own personal selfish reasons, even though it will always be one of the hardest decisions ever.

My boy was PTS during a bought of colic, looking at him there really was no choice you could see he answer in his eyes.

So so sorry for you and can empathise too as I've recently had to have a relatively young horse PTS. ((hugs)) to you and hope you find comfort in knowing you'll be doing the right thing. x

i think he has made the decision for you *hugs*

you know what is best for him, and it is a brave selfless owner who makes that decision to PTS even though it will be unimaginable for you.

*hugs* im sure you have the support of every NR

Ditto this.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))

So sorry to hear about your boy. My feelings on this is that when the quality of an animals life is drastically worsened with no sign of likely improvement, the kindest thing is to PTS.
I think you've already made up your mind though and you'll do what you think is best for him. :(

sounds like something like grass sickness or a gut disorder :( sadly it sounds like the time may have come to PTS

So sorry to hear of this. I have read about this kind of thing in a magazine, its soo sad. I know what its like to have the thought of loosing your horse. One time when he escaped while I was away and my parents told me they were goona make me give him away (they came to there scense after a couple days). I cried till about 1AM at just the thought of loosing him. I tried to fall a sleep after that but couldnt because i hurt my jaw from crying so much.

All I have to say is that take your time in making this decision. i seen a show on this woman whose co pinning horse lost both its eyes, so she was going to have him euthinised, but her vet incuraged her to try and regain his trust, and now it can be ridden and is still a cow pinning horse!

Good Luck. All my sympathy goes to you. You can always hope. Just do what you feel is right, and listen to all your scenses (Including your horse scence!)

newrider.com