Horse kicking whilst travelling.

Chestnutter

Aug 3, 2007
West Yorkshire
Hi all. We've recently bought a new horse who we don't think has been travelled in a trailer much before (if at all). He's a lovely horse, and is BSJA registered so he's obviously done a bit of travelling before (and was imported from Spain).

He loads OK, and isn't stressed when unloaded at the other end, but boy does he kick hell out of the trailer! Only on corners etc. He's OK in a straight line.

He's rubbed his tail (through the tail guard) and got a bit of a gash on his side. Took him out tonight and he was a bit better on journey out (this is his second journey with us), and then on the way home we put him in the left hand side as he'd rubbed a bit of metal trim off (the right hand side) on the outward journey and we didn't want him to catch himself. He didn't make a sound or even move on way home. Not sure whether this was because he was too tired to make a fuss or preferred travelling on the left -which if he's been travelled in Spain, he would probably be on the left there.

Any tips anyone? It's a nail biting journey when you know they're going to kick when you get to a corner/roundabout!

I would say from what youve described, he hates being on that trailer, really hates it.
How do you load him?

Thanks, yes he does seem to dislike it but has obviously travelled before and I'd like to help him overcome it.

Not sure what you mean by how we load him. He's no problem to load - pretty much walks in no prob. We've got the partition in at the moment but will try him without once we get a breast bar.

Thanks, yes he does seem to dislike it but has obviously travelled before and I'd like to help him overcome it.

Not sure what you mean by how we load him. He's no problem to load - pretty much walks in no prob. We've got the partition in at the moment but will try him without once we get a breast bar.

JW but do you lead him on? Circle him on? etc.

I was about to say - sounds like Lucy in an Ifor!

... Your horse might have travelled in another type of trailer or in a lorry. He certainly would have come from Spain in a lorry!. Lucy started like this in her new Ifor (after travelling for years and years) and got worse until we werent able to travel her at all any more without her falling over, collapsing, etc ... It's taken over a year to get her travelling again - in a lorry now!

Hi - no we didn't go for the Ifor as we thought they were a bit rattly. It's a Rice Beaumont newish one, never had probs with any other horses in it. I hope we can overcome the problem tho as I don't want to buy a lorry. (Well, I do - but OH may have something to say!).

i was chatting to a friend yesterday, and telling him about our trailor accident a few weeks ago, and he asked me did we put him in an ifor williams trailor.
he said its a common fault with these trailors that the flap at the bottom of the partition, moves about alot, esp when doing corners or round abouts. which leads to the flaps hitting the horse feet, he told me about countless horses (not nice to hear, believe me) that had flipped and been ruined because of an ifor. as one of his went loopey due to this, when he bought his new ifor, he took the flap off straight away. he also advised me to travel archie with out the partition and just a single breast bar.

i was chatting to a friend yesterday, and telling him about our trailor accident a few weeks ago, and he asked me did we put him in an ifor williams trailor.
he said its a common fault with these trailors that the flap at the bottom of the partition, moves about alot, esp when doing corners or round abouts. which leads to the flaps hitting the horse feet, he told me about countless horses (not nice to hear, believe me) that had flipped and been ruined because of an ifor. as one of his went loopey due to this, when he bought his new ifor, he took the flap off straight away. he also advised me to travel archie with out the partition and just a single breast bar.

Thanks for this - really useful. Maybe the flaps are scaring him. I think they may be similar to the ones in an Ifor.

no probs hope this helps, alot of people dont know about it, im just glad i spoke to him yesterday or i wouldnt know either.
seems crazy after all the complaints they must have that they still put them in. hope it all goes well for you and after seeing how well archie has bounced back from his trailer fiasco im sure youll crack it with time and patients :D

newrider.com