horse is too fat

RebaRage

Nov 20, 2000
Visit site
I ride a horse that needs a bit of conditiioning, that is to say she's fat,... too fat! Any tips on how to help her lose some extra pounds without stressing her or changing her diet. I only lease her, so I can't do anything about her eating habits.

Maci

Equestrianesse
Aug 3, 2000
Canada
Exersize Does A Body Good!

Since you lease your horse, you have access to her anytime; which means, go in to see her whenever you have a chance, and exersize her! If you don't want to ride her, lunge her. Or you can take her for a little walk with you 'around' on a lead rope.

Maci :)

Nic

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
The only way we keep weight off our little barrel is by exercise. It doesn't matter how much she eats, she doesn't get much thinnner than she is already. What type of pony/horse is it? Some are probably more prone to looking heavier anyway.

arabian_lover

Nov 25, 2000
Visit site
I suggest hillwork if at all possible. Lunging and a lot of trot work. Nix the canter (long ones) and work on trot trot trot. Sound boring? Well, you could do many things while in that pace. Stretching, changing diagonals, circles, caveletti, etc. AND HILLWORK!!

lots of luck

Laya

Dec 7, 1999
Pennsville, NJ USA
Lunging Tips - Already Used On My Own

I own a horse who needs constant conditioning or he swells up like a ballon!! So usually when I haven't rideen for a while, I start lunging him daily. Usually I lunge him for ten minutes at a trot around each direction, then I lunge him for ten/fifteen minutes under side reins for each direction also. If I work him this long on the lunge line, I usually take him out for a hack on the trail to relax a bit if I still have time to ride. If I'm short of time and just warming him up, I only lunge him for fifteen cycles eachj direction, and then on side reins fifteen/twenty cycles. Always trot the horse to release excess energy or if you wish your horse to lose weight. Trotting is very vigorous and takes a lot out of a horse.

Good luck.

Libby

Jul 1, 2000
Canberra,Australia
Visit site
we have a girl in our paddock who thinks her horse is to fat. she locks him up all day and night and comes in the afternoon and does hardly anything on him. Then only gives him a bit of hay!!
he has a grass gut but no muscle and ribs show.
any ideas on telling this girl that she's starving him???
thanks

Maci

Equestrianesse
Aug 3, 2000
Canada
Horse Anorexia

That's terrible what she's doing to her horse! Stabled horses need to be fed at least 3 times a day!

First of all, I would talk to her. Tell her that this is not healthy for the horse, and could cause more problems. If the horse appears to be loosing weight, it's the wrong kind of weight to loss; his body is starting to take from his muscles and tissue so his body will be able to survive.

If she doesn't listen, and continues to starve the horse, then I would talk to the owner of the paddock, and inform her on what's been going on (if she/he doesn't already know). See if you can both think of something to do to help this horse.

If my advice doesn't seem to work, or doesn't sound logicial (I don't know what to do, as I've never been in your position) the best thing you can do is confront her, no matter if it's you, or the owner, something has to be done!

Don't Wait!
Good Luck,
Maci :)

RebaRage

Nov 20, 2000
Visit site
Thanks!!!!!!!

Thanx every1, I've been working her a lot at the trot & recently found out that I'm the only one who's worked her at all in years!!! That's the source of the problem. I've been working w/ her a lot and people around the stable have alreay started telling me she's starting to look good, and is losing weight! Thanx once again!